Sulphasalazine and bowel problems

Options
venita
venita Member Posts: 56
edited 21. Oct 2009, 11:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
:roll: :oops: :cry: does anyone on sulphasalazine have problems with their bowles...I am having problems with soreness :oops: :( this has been on and off since I started this medication 3 months ago, I just wondered if this is me or has anyone else had this problem ?

Thanks

Venita

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Venita,

I have a bit of pain, fairly high up in my small intestine but I have IBD and put it down to that and eating decent bread and tomatoes. Its a drug they use for IBD so it might be best that you just get it checked out as it is unlikely to be the sulfa. It might be its just cus its a IBD drug it wont have that as a common problem and it could be something else. Take care and I hope you can get it sorted. Cris
  • venita
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Venita,

I have a bit of pain, fairly high up in my small intestine but I have IBD and put it down to that and eating decent bread and tomatoes. Its a drug they use for IBD so it might be best that you just get it checked out as it is unlikely to be the sulfa. It might be its just cus its a IBD drug it wont have that as a common problem and it could be something else. Take care and I hope you can get it sorted. Cris
    Hi Cris thank you for your reply I will definetly get it checked out take care
    Venita
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Venita

Only just seen your post. Sorry but I don't know anything about Sulphazine, never had it, but I did google it and common side effects are headaches, bloating and stomach cramps amongst other things. As Cris has already said it is better that you speak to your Dr. about this Hope you get something sorted out soon.

Love
    Vonski x
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    I am due to start this drug as soon as I get the letter from the hospital so dont know the ffects as such. I am prone to stomach probs and have had a tomach ulcer previously. I am on omeprazole already so am hoping this would cover the suplazine too. Are you taking omeprazole or another stomach protector???
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Bailey,

Just butting in to say yep I am on them as well. They can't be taken at the same time so I take one 2 hr before the other. Take care Cris x
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Glad you told me that beause I am due to start them and wasnt told this!!! Thank you!
  • venita
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Bailey,

Just butting in to say yep I am on them as well. They can't be taken at the same time so I take one 2 hr before the other. Take care Cris x
    I am taking omeprazole and was also not told I should not take them at the same time...I have only been on the omeprazole for a week but this has been happening before that... I will give my rhumey nurse a call on Monday I think.
    Thanks for all the helpful replies, It is helping with my joints so it would be a shame if I had to stop.

Take care everyone

Venita
  • venita
    Options
    venita wrote:
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Bailey,

I am taking omeprazole and was also not told I should not take them at the same time...I have only been on the omeprazole for a week but this has been happening before that... I will give my rhumey nurse a call on Monday I think.
    Thanks for all the helpful replies, It is helping with my joints so it would be a shame if I had to stop.

Take care everyone

Venita
    Hi Just to update you all on this my GP was not interested in my problem and I do not go back to rhummy until Nov so I have decided to stop sulpha for now it is not really doing anything for me, so I would rather stop and have one less problem. Hope you are all taking care
    Venita
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Venita,

Without making you blush too much I wondered whether your soreness can be treated by a cream or whether it's inside your back passage - now I'm blushing :oops:

An excellent cream for bottom soreness and itchies is Conotrane Cream which can be bought over the counter and is fairly cheap. It is often given to babies with nappy rash but it was given to me when I had a very, eye-watering sore bottom in hospital. It made it better in no time at all as it repels water and is very soothing.

It could be worth a try before you lay off the Sulphsalazine for a few days.

Luv Legs with an unsore botty :wink:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • avalon1
    avalon1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I have try Sulph SA on two different occasions both of which gave me terrible stomach cramps, diarrheoa and also made me feel shivery. My consultant told me that such side effects are common with this medication and I should immediately stop taking it.
  • venita
    Options
    avalon1 wrote:
    I have try Sulph SA on two different occasions both of which gave me terrible stomach cramps, diarrheoa and also made me feel shivery. My consultant told me that such side effects are common with this medication and I should immediately stop taking it.
    Thanks everyone for the help and tips just to update after my 2nd chest infection in 4 months I stooped the sulpha 3 weeks ago and although my joints are all up and I am in pain my tummy has settled down a bit, so maybe it is them that has caused the problem.
    I will got back to see my rhummy early Nov so will discuss it with him then.

Thanks again

Venita