Hi John here

handsy
handsy Member Posts: 209
edited 1. Oct 2009, 10:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been quite well for about a week and thought that i was doing it all ok with the meds and such. untill today when out of nowhere without any warning my back became really bad, the pain was unbareable and i broke down in tears because the pain was so bad. just had a nap from about 11 oclock tonight and i have woken up felling really depressed again. I feel uttally useless and just dont think that i will ever get back to work and this makes me really sad. becuase i love to work and all the banter you get. i used to have a great sense of humour now i am just so listless and depressd.
totally fed up with this f***ing RA
its makes me feel just so useless. :cry::cry::cry:

Comments

• lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry to hear you are suffering again.Did you do too much while you felt better? I know I do.

It seems as though at the moment lots of us on here are on downers.I for one am so sick of pains and not sleeping,the colder weather takes its toll.
    I don't have personal experience but maybe a pain clinic could help, in the meantime have you tried a tens machine.I used one for sciatica and it worked.
    linda H 8)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi John

I am sorry to hear that you are on a real downer at the moment. Posting on here in the earlier hours will not help much either as things always seem much worse at night. As Linda says there are a lot of downbeat people on here at the moment and I for one am very sorry to see this. It seems to be catching so I am trying to steer clear of the forum a little! I know we blame the weather for nearly everything :roll: but I do feel that the thought of the dark, damp, dismal, fewer daylight hours we shall endure for x number of months is a little daunting.

Having had a good week does raise one's hopes and then in a way one gets more despondent when the not so good days appear again.

Chin up and I hope you get some painfree days again soon,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    You have a few good days and then something comes along to remind you not to get complacent!I have found my back pain is connected to my hip pain.When I had my hip replaced my back pain went immediately and only comes back if I do lots of walking without my crutches(I am hanging onto them for dear life as they are due back next few weeks).
    You need to tell your rheumatologist,if they are good like mine they will give you something to sort the pain I hope.They always told me to contact them if the pain got to much in the various body parts.In the past I just used to hang on between appointments getting worse and worse until I was dragging myself around the house,and they told me not to do that but to get in touch.
    I dont know if that helps.You are a very independent guy,being robbed of your life at the moment!And some rheumatologists dont want to know and are of little help.
    Take care Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi John

Sorry to hear that you've in pain. I hate having back pain. I bought a memory foam mattress topper a couple of months ago and I've found that has been great for my back. My husband commutes 3 times a week to Kent and often has back trouble and he's found the mattress topper has helped. I've bought two now one from Argos for about £75 but found another online for about £26.00 (exactly the same as the Argos one).

If it gets bad again try using a heat pad. Have you spoken to your GP about this?

You're not useless. I'm afraid arthur pain can be so bad that it does make us question our role on this planet.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you manage to have a good rest and pain free.

Sharmaine
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, Sorry you'r having a bad day or so. I hope that it will settle again for you. Its just trying to show you who the Boss is! Loss of sleep can really drain you too. love Sue
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi John,

We all have down days, can the gp not give you stronger painkillers? it is worth asking, hope you feel a little brighter today love Jaspercatxx
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    handsy wrote:
    totally fed up with this f***ing RA

Well John, lots of great replies and advice already, so I am just going to perhaps make you smile a little.........

You see, I agree entirely with your sentence quoted above, but I could not possibly write, let alone SAY, such a swear word :shock: Don't go thinking I'm all prim and proper, its just that when I was growing up, if my Mum heard me, my siblings, or friends uttering anything remotely like a swear-word she would threaten "hey! less of that - I'll wash your mouth out with soap and water else"...... ugh! can you imagine it a015.gif

And even now, 50 odd years later, I still won't - no, CAN'T - bring myself to say it a065.gif but oh yes, I so agree with you :!:

Jackie x