Do I have a claim for DLA?

autumnlady
autumnlady Member Posts: 29
I retired from the Civil Service in August becase my arthritis problems became too much and the work I was doing too heavy (I worked in a military kitchen).

Awaiting MRI scans, appointments and various other tests being done to see the extent of the arthritis and to clarify which medication I will be given - currently only on Co-codamol. My fingers need to be fused according to the orthopedic surgeon and a new wrist joint inserted.

Am having lots of problems with things that were no problem 6 months ago - like dressing, getting in and out of the car, driving is now painful etc etc.

I am only in receipt of the lower amount of ESA (£64 a week) -Should I claim DLA?

Comments

• topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You can try....If you read backdated posts on here you will realise how hard it is to get it :shock:
    You can either try now or if you are awaiting results of tests etc...it might be worth waiting for more details...so your GP will know more about your condition....
    Having said that, its the problems your condition causes that your claim is based on, not the condition itself....
    Good luck
    xxx
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Hi,

I would wait until you get more info of your arhthris and what meds you will be on etc, it gives them more factual proof of how your arthritis is.

This is what I did and I got it.

Janie :)
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    janie68 wrote:
    Hi,

I would wait until you get more info of your arhthris and what meds you will be on etc, it gives them more factual proof of how your arthritis is.

This is what I did and I got it.

Janie :)

I agree with Janie and make sure your doctor is aware of you applying and they document it all for you.
    I would advise you taking the form to the CAB its a complicated form good luck.
    k010.gif
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Hi

I am due tohave my mobility DLA stopped in Jan. I have been claiming it since 2007. I shall still get the care part.
    So long as I can walk 80 mtrs in 2 mins, that is all it needs for me not to get it according to them. I have told them about the problems with my hands, but they do not take that into account.

What can one say :cry:

joy
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    There is a personal capability checklist at: http://www.samh.org.uk/assets/files/18.pdf which should give guidance on your chances of getting DLA.

Ultimately, only by completing the DLA form can you be sure.
    b075.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • autumnlady
    autumnlady Member Posts: 29
    Thank you for your responses.

I claimed and have been awarded the higher rate for both care and mobility indefinitely.
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    Good for you...glad you got it!
    g010.gif
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    autumnlady wrote:
    Thank you for your responses.

I claimed and have been awarded the higher rate for both care and mobility indefinitely.

That was really quick! Well Done - it does come in handy - although would rather not need to claim at all.
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Well done...i hope it gives you a bit of a better quality of life..
    But i feel the same as you ( and all of us the forum :shock: )
    We would rather not have the condition....
    Its nice to hear of a good, quick result...
    xx
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    That's brilliant news I'm happy you're getting some help.
    rita