Immunisations

franki
franki Member Posts: 20
Hi
Can you tell me if I should be offered flu/swine flu jabs?
I am on sulfasalazine and hydroxychloroquine, which I understand are not immune suppressants, though I have read info through a link on your site that seems to put them in this category? The information I have read is confusing and my GP surgery were not very helpful.

I have inflammatory arthritis, as yet of unspecified type.

Thanks

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Frankie,

Thanks for your enquiry to Arthritis Care. This is the kind of situation where the rheumatology nurse is the first point of enquiry rather than the primary care people. As we are a non-medical source of information and support we'd signpost you to the rheumy nurse. I'd expect that you would be offered flu vaccination (and pneumonia vaccination too) as inflammatory arthritis impacts on your immune system and these things are supportive of that.

Hope you get a swift answer from them.

If you'd like any of our self-management information/booklets just email us at helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk with your postal address and we'll send you them.

all the best
    Guy
  • yoshimi
    yoshimi Member Posts: 20
    Hello,

I hope it's okay to reply here? I have RA and am on the same medications as you and have received the flu jab for the past three years. I have also had the pneumonia (sp?) jab. I was told at the beginning that i was immuno suppressed but that may have been as i was also on steroids? I have always been given the impression that i am immuno suppressed and that if i had an infection i would have to reduce my meds with advise from the gp/ hosp.

Thanks,

Sarah
  • franki
    Thanks for your reply Sarah,

I have never been given any advice regarding infections or yearly immunisations. It seems that the advice given by GP's and rheumatology dept's is really variable. You would think that there would be national guidelines regarding immunisation that all GP's had to follow!

I would be really interested to hear other people's experiences and views on this.

Best wishes

Franki
  • franki
    Thank you for your quick reply Guy,

I will contact the Rheumy nurse, but as the immunisations are done by the GP it is them that seem to decide who should and shouldn't be offered the jabs. They don't seem to consider me to be immuno compromised and that is why I have never been offered the immunisations. This is why I was asking if my medications are classed as immune suppressants.

Kind regards
    Franki
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,462
    Hi Frankie,

We are not a medical advice service, so for this one I'm afraid you really ought to check with the rheumatology nurse or if they are unclear leave a message with your consultant via their admin support. I'm expecting they'd advise immunisation. But this particular question I'm not able to answer I'm afraid.

sorry about this
    Guy