I just have to have a moan

Options
jaspercat
jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
edited 17. Oct 2009, 09:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, as most of you know my father in law recently passed away, he was given a wheel chair and 2 walking frames from Wythenshawe hospital, I have rung them today and they won't take them back, they have never been used but they are an infection risk.

I find this absurd to say the least, they are thousands of pounds in the red but are quite prepared for us to throw them into the skip, I have phoned the red cross, they don't need them, anyone have any ideas of what to do? love Jaspercatxx

Comments

• maud48
    maud48 Member Posts: 170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    It seems crazy, never heard of that before and just another hassle that you don't need at the moment- my mother had crutches and we had to take them back to the hospital for her.
    Wythenshawe hospital is a bit strange though. My sister was in there and I ordered some flowers to be delivered to her.They wouldn't accept them as they said they would be an infection risk. Surprised they allow visitors!
    Perhaps you could try Freecycle. Seems a bit odd but I've certainly seen wheelchairs on my local one and there were loads of replies asking for them,
    Take care,
    maudxx
  • franki
    franki Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hello Jaspercat
    This really is shocking!
    Did you speak to the occupational therapy or physiotherapy depts at wythenshawe? You may find them more helpful. I know at Macclesfield they have amnesty days when people can return equipment that they no longer need, like crutches etc. I would of thought Wythenshawe would do something similar.
    Hope this helps.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    What a crazy world we live in :roll:

I was going to suggest Freecycle too or Ebay - then at least you know someone's getting them that need them.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,951
    Options
    Hi Jaspercat.
    have you tryed a mobility shop they sell scootas and wheelchairs and frames.
    or shopmobility they lend scootas and wheelchairs to people.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    I'm sure this can't be right , maybe the person you spoke to was just fobbing you off because they couldn't be bothered... I know its a pain but couldn't you ring the hospital and ask to speak to the PALS office and tell them what happened I am sure they will give you more info on how to return them....
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    maybe you could find a local charity that would love to send it abroad for use by those not able to afford such equipment.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, What about the Red Cross, they lend out equipment and may be glad of the offer. I can't understand the hospital though, as its easy to compleatly steralise a wheelchair, our handiman at Leonard Cheshire used to do ours every 6 months or so and what about the hospital beds?
    Flowers are a no go area at lots of hospitals now, though. I suppose it makes sense, but the wards will look a bit drab now.
    Love Sue
  • jaspercat
    Options
    Hi, I spoke to the OT dept first and then the Physio dept, both of them refused to take them, luckily my disabled friend around the corner will take the wheelchair, she knows a local theatre group who pick up old people for their performances, so I just have to get rid of the walking frames.

I had the same problem at Macclesfield hospital, they gave Malcolm crutches last year when he came out of ITU, when the community physio came to see him, she refused to take them away. I can agree with flowers but not with equipment, it is health and safety gone mad love Jaspercatxx
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Hi Kat that sounds ridicolous but believably true can you or someone take them back and dare i say it dump them in i mean leave them in out patients or somewhere im sure they will make use of them failing that contact your local media and show them up for crazy rules gome mad.
    btw our local surgery has banned magazines and toys as they say they spread germs.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I know, it seems daft to me, our local hospital has appeals for people to take back things they've been given, as they cost a lot. I suppose its just another sign of the mad world we live in!

Hope you and your o/h are OK, this must be such a hard time for you both. I'll send you my love and best wishes, Sue
  • jaspercat
    Options
    Hi, I spoke to my disabled neighbour last night, she knows of a theatre group that collects elderly people to watch their productions, she says they would welcome the wheelchair, so that is going to a good home, I thought that I might ask the hospice if they could use the frames.

It is all totally insane to me that the nhs won't take things back love Jaspercatxx