Just picked up my co-codamol - got a surprise ....

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 18. Oct 2009, 06:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI,

thought I would just post this in case anyone else got confused by this.

I take two diffferent strengths of Co-codamol

8/500 which have up until now been round
30/500 which up to now have always been lozenge shaped.

today, picked up some more 30/500 and they look IDENTICAL to the 8/500 pack that I have in stock - only the numbers different. Same round shape. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am quite cross because I could have easily got them mixed up as I have been taking them for years and they have always been the different shapes (even with different makes & brands). Will have to be really careful when I carry any with me in my bag to really check the numbers on the back.

I thought they were trying to make things clearer not more confusing :? :?

Comments

• c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thx for the warning.

I wonder if they have considered those whose eyesight isn't very good?
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Gosh, thats quite worrying, especially for people who have poor vision and rely on the shape to work out what to take and elderly confused (like me :mrgreen: )! You'll have to be careful. Love Sue
  • springs65
    springs65 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi I have been taking Co-codamol 30/500 for quite a long time and depending on which brand they give me some are round and some are oval so I don't think this is a new thing
  • juliefybrobull
    juliefybrobull Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    HI, HELLO I TAKE CO-CODAMOL 30/500 TOO DO YOU FIND THEY DONT TAKE ALL THE PAIN AWAY , I CAN SEE HOW WE CAN ALL GET CONFUSED I SHOULD WEAR GLASSES BUT THEY ANNOY ME HA HA TAKE CARE X :x

thought I would just post this in case anyone else got confused by this.

I take two diffferent strengths of Co-codamol

8/500 which have up until now been round
    30/500 which up to now have always been lozenge shaped.

today, picked up some more 30/500 and they look IDENTICAL to the 8/500 pack that I have in stock - only the numbers different. Same round shape. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am quite cross because I could have easily got them mixed up as I have been taking them for years and they have always been the different shapes (even with different makes & brands). Will have to be really careful when I carry any with me in my bag to really check the numbers on the back.

I thought they were trying to make things clearer not more confusing :? :?
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    They are perhaps cheaper in oval/lozenge form than the round ones and that is why the pharmacy is stocking them. Some of the medication I take changes form/shape/colour/brand each time I get a new prescription. The pharmacist says it's to do with cost. I've had both round ones and oval ones before. I notice if you buy paracetamol caplets they're dearer than the ordinary round ones I wonder if the price has something to do with the coating as the oval ones are easier to swallow because of their shape and of a coating they have? I agree it could be very confusing for some people.
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    Hi all
    3 of the tablets I take are identical apart from the writing on them which is too small for me to decipher even with my glasses on!!
    its a bit hit and miss to say the least :wink:
    Gillx
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    Options
    My mum was given these but found it impossible to swollow so she asked the pharm to give her caplets in future which was no problem - be worth asking yours. I get both the 15/500 and 30/500 both in caplet shape.
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Always worth checking what you get - one chemist gave me lower doses and short changed me on the quantity. They did this with a few things so I changed to Boots who also do home delivery.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    MM that happened to me before as well, wrong number of tabs and / or wrong drug. It's happened to a neighbour of mine too. Everyone makes mistakes I guess.