Aromatherapy

Options
joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
edited 17. Oct 2009, 11:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Despite feeling under the weather, I went for my aromatherapy sessions, which were part of my July b'day present. I was due to have a back massage treatment and then a full head and shoulders. Was going to be a facial, but my therapist decided that I would get more benefit this way. This all took place this morning and since then, I have not had a twinge, burning, ache, oh my goodness, just nothing. I went home, had a couple of long cool drinks and then went to bed. I slept until 5 p.m. and then just floated. normally, my back is screaming at me and my legs are twitching because I need to get up and walk and then it takes me ages to get moving aswell. No painfull little steps to the bathroom and gingerly crawling downstairs. I wonder how long it will last?

I have book another session for next Friday and this time for late afternoon, so that when I get hom I can just go straight to bed and sleep. So next time you are asked what you want for birthday or christmas present :wink::D:D:D

joy

Comments

• joyful164
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think aromatherapy is fine for short term problems, one's which will respond to physio, chiropractioner etc., but for me, alas, it was nice while it lasted, but the pain and stiffness is coming back - woke up with a very sore back and again this morning.
    these sessions were a birthday present, but I couldn't afford it every week. For a lot of us even buying a small bottle of aromatherapy oil is out of the question. I have a few in store, like lavender, rosemary and one or two more. Usually add them to my jar of cocoa butter cream or to the bath. I've had these a long time so shows how often I use them.

My OH asked if he could do the massages, but it's not the same, especially as he suffers from a bad back too. The mind boggles
    Really, it was nice to get away for the 1 - 2 hours and forget the OH, bless him. No, his hands on methods would not relax me in the least.

joy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I've never had aromatherapy, but I used to look after a lady who did, she had a mixture of lavender and something else, I can't remember. Going into her room aferwars was a treat, the smells were light and hung in the air. I think, as a carer, they helped me just by sniffing!

I hope you enjoy your sessions, they most be very relaxing. Anything which helps you to relax is good for you.

This last week their was an interesting article in the paper about the placibo effect. Sciece, by using, I think MRI scans has shown that if you give somebody something and they believe it will make them better, the body, in the spinal cord releases its natural pain killing hormones, endorphines, which helps stop pain. Its not a mental trick, its the bodys own painkillers being told they need to work. Sorry to go on, good luck with the treatment, Love Sue
  • joyful164
    Options
    Hi Sue and Lynn

have taken your views on board. Shall follow things up. In the meantime,I have taken what oils I have got and will see what cocktail I can make up :):):)
    Let OH think he's a student for awhile.. With his cold though, the further away he is at the moment the better.

Going through nearly 24 hours though without feeling any pain was brilliant. I am still feeling chilled though but put that down to cups of chamomile tea. My friends from Italy bring packets of it over for me so I have quite a hoard. It is much stronger than the stuff you buy in the supermarkets here. Mine tastes different too, but it does help you sleep. Wish i could send you some
    joy