MTX VS SULFASALAZINE

Options
alison67
alison67 Member Posts: 70
edited 18. Oct 2009, 13:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
would just like some opinions really. Been on mtx for just over a year now, currently on 15mg weekly. As some of you may be aware, i'm a constant worrier and the thought of being on these drugs indefinately at the age of 42 scares me silly :cry:
Am thinking of asking my rheumy to put me back on Sulfasalazine but just don't know, as i have Psoriatic Arthritis and mtx works, just so worried about potential side effects and scary stories i've read. Any advice?????
Thanks, Alison.x

Comments

• page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I have RA and take 15mg of mxt too, but think i will be incressing it again soon.
    do you have any side effects is the question??
    if not and if the mxt is working well then i say stay with it, if things change in the future then change it then.
    i too do worry alot but i want to live as well as i can today so if i need it i will take it.
    by the way im 33
    best wishes
    page :D
  • alison67
    Options
    Thanks for your prompt reply Page35.x
    You're so young too. I've been on DMARDS for the past 12yrs. Just the thought of my weekly mtx makes me nauseous let alone when i take it. :cry:
    I suffer terribly from anxiety but this has so increased wiyth starting mtx and what i read over the net doesn't help me at all. I used to take Sulfasalazine and was quite happy on them but my previous rheumy said i'd come to the end of the line on them. Was thinking that since i've had a six year break from them that they might work again? Also, once i feel better in mind i may feel a little more well altogether. I'm glad to hear mtx works for you, thanks and God Bless.x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi again Alison :D
    why dont you talk to you rheumy about it next time you go? if your not happy about taking the mtx and it worries you to much maybe you could change, or take abit of both. my rheumy is thinking about me taking the mtx and sulfa together both at a lesser dose.
    i know what you mean about feeling sick before you take the mtx its my night to take them tonight and im thinking about it already :roll: . but i know it does help me :D
    all the best
    page x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    We have a lot to worry about.
    I also get sick just thinking about the MTX but on the whole the benefits out-weigh the nausea.
    I am also on sulfasalazine.I dont think they do much,altho they were great at first. I had my sulfasalazine increased temporarily when I had a recent infection and couldnt take my MTX and Humira.
    It is a worry with side effects, but like Page said, it does give you a life of sorts.So I feel they are just about worth it.
    Best wishes Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • alison67
    Options
    Thank you both. :)
    Im going to bring my rheumy appt. forward and see what he thinks. Ill let you know what happens,x