Itchy and Scratchy Show!!

Options
gickygawky
gickygawky Member Posts: 478
edited 27. Oct 2009, 18:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone tell me if the itchiness I am experiencing from Cocodamol will subside with a bit of time or is it a permanent side effect as long as I continue to take the drug??

At the moment I am hopping around itching here there and everywhere :roll: but would like to give it a shot before calling it quits and choosing an alternative drug.

Thanks

A x :)

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there!

In my humble opinion you are having a reaction to the coco. I would go back to your gp. If you do change the meds please let me know what you are offered as I am prescribed coco and prefer to suffer the pain to the way I feel when I take them (no itching though but lethargic and woosy) and I also do not find them much good in dulling my pain either. Co proxamol which was taken off the market because a few people overdosed on it, was a fantastic drug with no side effects.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Gickygawky I agree it is the codine which is most likelyy making you itch but it may sort itself out in time. You could take a non drowsy anti histimine which would lessen the itch.
    Elnafin there are lots of other alternatives out there if you don't take the co codamol, there is Co-Dydramol which contains paracetamol and Dihydrocodine, patches, tramadol,codine phosphate. If you are in pain perhaps you could discuss these with your GP.
    very best of luck for you both
    rita
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    I get this with Tramadol...( painkiller)....its a nightmare!!...but i still take them as i find they work well...
    x
  • gickygawky
    Options
    Hi there,

Thanks for your replies everyone, it's really helpful. :)

I think I might try an antihistamine and see what happens, thanks for the advice.I am due back at the docs next week so if things don't improve I think I may swap. I don't think it is helping with the pain at the mo anyway so trying something else may be a good idea.

Hope you are on good form today :)

A x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi
    I think this is one of the side effects of co meds. I find that my itching starts at night. Mostly on my arms - I've found rubbing aqueous cream on my skin before bed helps.

Sharmaine
  • gickygawky
    Options
    Thanks Sharmaine,

I am popping out in a mo so will head to the chemist for the aqueous cream too - I have tried a bunch of others but not this one so hope it will help :) It's weird I am itchy almost everywhere and especially my arms and legs. Oh well, at least it's not permanent huh!

Thanks for your help!

Arna x
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    Options
    I find Tramadol an itchy nightmare however it does the job for the pain !

I find it worse at night so wear the cotton gloves (beauty things for handcream) and find i no longer wake to find blood from scratching in my sleep !
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Although it may well be a side effect. When my neck is really painful I get a sort of strange itchyness that you can't get at which also sort of burns, but no rash. My Doc says its from the nerve in my neck, which is pinched a bit and it has (touch wood) been a bit better since starting my physio! Love Sue