RA and flu jab?

Options
page35
page35 Member Posts: 1,081
edited 19. Oct 2009, 17:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All
was wondering if everyone with RA has the flu jab? i also take mtx and work in a playgroup, so guess i am more at risk of catching it. the rheumy nurse said i should have it when i ask her about it but that was all she said just have it.
my mum is 71 and she doesnt have it done,am just not sure what to do?
page

Comments

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've been offered it at work every year and taken it. It's not a live vaccine so you can't catch flu from getting it. I've been offered it by my GP this year because I'm on methotrexate. I had it last week and it was a lot less painful than the pneumovaccine. It's not to be confused with the swine flu vaccine which is not yet available.
    rita
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I would urge you to get the flu jab - especially as you are on MTX and work with children. I have had the jab every year for the past 12 at my GP surgery. We are more prone to get it, more likely to struggle to deal with the flu, and are entitled to it ..... so go for it!!
  • handsy
    handsy Member Posts: 209
    Options
    I had the Flu jab last week and for a short while i felt really ill and i mean really, I ahd tightness of the chest numbness down my right arm(in which i had the jab) it wore off after about 20-25 mins but during the time i was really concerned. I am staying with my dad at the moment and i went and told him that i did not feel and if i asked him would he get some medical help. Thanks to say I did not need any, this was my first ever Flu jab. hope this has been a help :lol:
  • page35
    Options
    Thank you for your replies
    its my first winter knowing i have RA and just not sure about it.
    Handsy that sounds worring glad it pasted
    thanx again
    page
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I was suppose to have mine last week. I am on the at risk group because of my Asthma as much as anything.

Unfortunately, have had to put it off because I was on antibiotics for a virus. So it will be on the 7th November now.
    I noticed Tesco are doing it for £8.

joy
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Page, I have the flu jab every year, my gp says that it will help my immune system, it is very important to have it when you have RA, so I would urge you to get it love Jaspercatxx
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    I've had the flu jab for the past 9yrs. I have taken MXT and leflunomide in the past. I've never had flu and not had side effects with the jab. Now trying to work out if I should have the swine flu jab as I'm 3months pregnant and not allowed to have normal jab.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    I have my flu jab every year without fail. I am on MTX as well and get my flu jab when I am going for a blood test. So, blood goes out of one arm and flu jab goes in the other.

I now walk with a tilt!
    p020.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I think they will be starting the Swine Flu jab soon. I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about it, and of course its your choice. What I think is that none of us have anything in the way of natural imunity to this bug, so I'd definiatlly have it. Also, the pregnant ladies on here are advised to have it as they seem to have a higher risk of becoming very poorly if they catch swine flu. Its something that is an individual choice though. Love Sue
    PS Sorry to be such a wet blanket, I'm sure everyone will be fine! :mrgreen:
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I've been having the seasonal flu jab for about 10 years and never had any problems. Still thinking about the swine flu jab. Is there anyone around who's actually had it yet? I know it is available in a few places and has to be considered essential before they do it, but just wondered if anyone had any experience with it.
    Annie
  • page35
    Options
    Thank you all again
    think i will phone docs tomorrow and book in for the jab
    dont think the swine flu jab is being done here yet will get this one out the way then worry about that.
    take care
    page