Rituxamab

Options
bevman
bevman Member Posts: 107
edited 21. Oct 2009, 14:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi i was wondering is anybody on Rituxamab they are thinking of putting my husband on it because his RA is very aggressive and they cannot control it he is on MTX injection 20mg,Sulfersalazine.embrel TNF just wonderd if anybody had any thoughts.
thanks Alison

Comments

• lesleygraham
    lesleygraham Member Posts: 91
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bev
    I had two infusions of rituximab and it did nothing at all to help my RA, however, I suppose its worth a try for your hubby.
    Good luck
    Les
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    I was recommended rituximab as it works for many autoimmune conditions (I have 3). When I looked into it I found that the literature says that it is more effective for RA than PsA which I have so I opted for the anti-TNF treatment instead. I know a lot of ppl who are on it for other conditions and it works really well for some and not so well for others, like any drug really. I'd say that it is worth a try if other treatments have failed. I have it on standby if the anti-TNF stops working.
    Good luck and I hope you find something that works.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I think this something new, my step son has just rung me about it. My dil takes it for her Non Hodginson Lymphoma
    It's manufactured by Genentech, Inc.
    1DNA Way. South San Francisco. CA 94080-4990

It is used for patients with Non Hodgkins and RA and is usually administered alongside MTX if it is thought you are not getting the full benefits of the MTX.

There is a lot of informaton on the internet and should be read, I think. It's important.

I shall ask my consultant about it, but some of the side affects are quite severe including hypertension and as I am on high medication for high blood pressure, I may not be a suitable candidate.
    If you do go on to it, let us know how you get on.

joy
  • purplecats
    purplecats Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hiya, I had my first dose of Rituximab last Dec after failing other treatments, and it is the best treatment I have been on, before I started i had the mentality of I have tried everything else but it hasn't worked why should i try this, but at my last assessment with my rheumatology nurse I have been placed into clinical remission which means all my bloods are in the normal range, i have been told the effects of the treatment will wear off but once it does i'll just have another infusion.
    Its so handy also knowing that once you have had your course of treatment you don't have to worry about it for another 9-14 months.
    Its like all medictions, everyone has different levels of success, but you just got to think about the possible benefits of having the teatment and what will happen if you don't have the treatment.
    Good luck with the decision :)