Is this as good as it gets??

Options
ctidcarl
ctidcarl Member Posts: 2
edited 23. Oct 2009, 09:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys

I've not yet been diagnosed with arthritis, although my GP seems to think there is a strong possibility I have it - blood tests and x-rays pending within the next two weeks.

My ankles are swollen and I was wondering, if I am diagnosed with arthritis, are they always swollen, or does swelling come and go??

I have been prescribed anti-inflammitaries, from when I was diagnosed with gout a few years back and my GP recommends I take these for the time being until the results come back (I have no problem taking the tablets upon his reccomendation)

I must also say that over the last week, I have felt incredibly tired!! Everything is an effort after minimal activity, which I find frustrating as I have always been a pretty fit guy.

Finally, I have found myself perspiring alot - is this a symptom too, as its quite embarrasing!!

Thanks in advance for your responses.... I could become quite a regular here!!

Carl

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Carl

Welcome to the forum but sorry that you have had to find us. The perspiring could be the inflammation in your body. Tiredness can go hand in hand with arthritis. I cannot answer your questions about swollen ankles because this is one problem that I do not have. :roll:

Once you get a diagnosis and meds and treatment get underway, you will start to feel better. :)

We do have to learn to pace ourselves with this arthur which can be right annoying at times.

Hope to see your name around the forum more,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry but I have oa, so I don't know if that is the same as your doctor thinks you have. Whatever type of arthritis you do have, I'm sure when your GP gets the results from the blood tests, he will be able to refer you to a rheumatologist or prescribe himself, the drugs that will be of most help to you.

I know its hard, but you may have to wait a bit before your docs get the right medication for you, but when they do, it should help you to feel a lot better. Their are so many drugs out their so you may need patience. (Not one of my strong points, I must admit!) :wink:

Good luck, hope all goes well for you, Love Sue
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    Hi Carl and welcome.

I can second most of what Elna said. I definitely find that tiredness is my greatest hurdle with arthritis. I have psoriatic arthur which is similar to RA and is an inflammatory type. Tiredness is definitely associated with inflammatory conditions. I'm not sure about OA as I don't have that (yet!).

It sounds like your Dr is being sensible and doing the right thing by running tests. Depending on the results you might be referred to a rheumatologist. As for your swollen ankle I can sympathise. My ankle was why I was diagnosed because I could barely walk on it in the beginning. My ankle is always swollen regardless of whether or not I have a flare. However, the degrees of swelling are different. During a flare it'll balloon but it's not really noticeable to others when I'm controlled. I have to be careful with shoes and I tend to buy ones that I can loosen on my swollen foot. It's not a lot but comfort is so important when your joints are painful. I lived in slippers most the time for a year. I even kept a pair under my desk in work! :D

Let us know how you get on. Hope to see you around.
    Cath