wrist supports

Options
pammi69
pammi69 Member Posts: 36
edited 22. Oct 2009, 18:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, is anyone using wrists supports and finding them very beneficail. My wrists are getting weaker and was wondering whether i should get some but i dont want to highlight the fact im wearing them to every one. also can you order them via your doctors?
thanks
pammi

Comments

• issymknight
    issymknight Member Posts: 99
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pammi I have to use wrist supports quite often at work. I find they do help especially during a flare of certain joints. I got mine from the chemist. One thing I would say is make sure they fit ok and are comfortable. I understand about not wanting to advertise the fact that you are ill but when it comes to it I decided pain or wrist support and supprise supprise Wrist support won. I even let the walking stick win some times.

Issy
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Pammi
    i wear a wrist surport for work on bad days when wrist very painful and or swollen more than usual. i got mine from the OT at the hospital, i find it helps a great deal.
    if you get one dont wear it for to long, couple of hours and when you take it off exercise your wrist abit. thats what the OT told me anyway.
    page
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I'm finding that I am wearing mine more and more and in fact, I cannot cope without it. I am waiting for nerve conductor test on the 2nd December.

I find, that if I wear it, it stops the pain and tingling in my fingers and as my thumb is very painful, fat with a huge knuckle joint which is obviously damaged, it helps with the pain there aswell. Whereas my right hand and wrist are nice and straight, I am finding a curviture of the whole of my left wrist and hand is beginning to manifest itself and a bit worrying. Is this the beginning of arthritic damage or what? When I am doing my art, I wear tubigrip on my right hand and the splint on my left. I do have a splint for my right hand but do not wear it because I can't paint or do most jobs with it on.
    My next Rheumy appt can't come quick enough. Remember, remember the 5th November.

joy
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I find the wrist supports very useful when my wrists are painful or feeling weak, you can get some through the occupational therapists but you will probably need a referral love Jaspercatxx
  • pammi69
    pammi69 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    If you experience pain i:e in your wrist, is that where the deaseise is eating into i:e your bones and muscles or is it just pain?
    thanks
    pammi
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I think pain anywhere should be checked out, just to be on the safe side.

Something that will help maybe would be to use warm wheaty bags or something. With my carpul tunnel syndrome, I find ice bags help quite a bit. It is very painful at the moment and the ice does help a lot.
    I can honestly say that it is like breaking your wrist at the moment and banging your fingers into the car door for good measure.
    Help, it hurts. If I were to present myself to A&E thinking I had broken it, xray it and i would be put in plaster and it will be better in 6 wks. But this, 12 wks wait for the nerve conduction test and then another 12 waiting for the op. Why o why do these departments works so slow.

joy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    HI I have wrist supports and I got mine from the occupational therapist. Your GP can refer you to one and they will see you and fit the type you need. The only thing is, if you go to the doctor I expect he will want to check and see why you have the pain, so that you get the right sort of help ie carpel tunnel, which can be treated easily.

You can buy them from a chemist and they have several different types and colours. When I had mine the occy told me not to wear them too much as they help the pain, but if worn too often weaken the joint. It would be best to get some advice first. Hope you find what you need. Love Sue
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi,

Just wanted to say that if you have a not terribly helpful GP like mine, you can self-refer to the Occupational Therapy team in your local hospital. In some areas you can ring them directly (tel. no will be in the Phone book) and in others you have to ring Social Services who will have a team working to support people with health difficulties in their homes, who will either arrange an outpatients appointment at the hosp, or a home visit.

I resorted to self referal, and they gave me 2 kinds of wrist splints to try while at work (I have OA in my hands) and also lots of generally useful tips. I also received some foam grips for pens, and something to help me grip jar lids. I have an open invitation to ring them for advice at any time, which is brilliant, particularly as my GP, as mentioned above, isn't as much help as he might be! It's definitely worth doing. Good luck!

Naomi
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I have RA and my GP referred me to the OT as I was struggling with my wrists. However, the OTs in my area only provide the night-time resting splints so I had to see the physios, but the OT did the referral to them herself.

I got all sorts of unexpected things from the OT referral though, like a bath board, chair raisers, additional bannister, cutlery help etc.

worth a shot just for that alone!