How much is too much?

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 21. Oct 2009, 04:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all now can anyone tell me how much is too much, for me it’s walking bending etc as it’s me knee caps but how do I know when or if I’m doing my OA more harm than good when I am trying to keep mobile?. Any ideas??!. :?:

Comments

• issymknight
    issymknight Member Posts: 99
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm afraid it will be down to your body and trial and error. Thats how I have had to learn what I can and cant do. I feel great do some work and hey pain and suffering here we come. I would go for small walks and go where I could rest or have a seat, then that way you shouldnt over do it.
    Remember one thing your own body will tell you when enough is enough and its a good idea to listen to it.

Take care and go gently gently

Issy
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Mel,

Its really down to how you feel I am afraid. Its finding the balance between doing enough to keep moving and doing too much and getting the pain and problems with over doing it. I think we are all finding our levels cus they fluctuate a bit every day. You will get your levels worked out and well listening to your body is the best way of finding them. Bones are quite good at telling you thats enough. Take care Cris
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Issy thanks it’s as I thought then, I’m am really trying to get me head round it still some day’s I can walk a fair way others I can’t even get round the house without the pain coming on, I can’t seem to get it though to the people here at work that I can still walk ok’ish it’s just the pain that gets to much for me to handle even Tramadol doesn’t stop it, thing is I also get delayed reactions to doing to much, some times I think I have got away with it only to have all hell breaks lose hours later. totally flippin mad. :shock:
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Not mad at all mellman it sounds very familiar I'm afraid. My physio said that if the pain does'nt go away within 2 hours after you stop what you're doing t(hat gives you pain) then you've overdone it.
    If that makes sense :roll:
    Seems pain for 2 hours or less after an activity is ok. It's almost impossible to pace yourself however and I'm still trying to find the pace that allows me to do something 2 days in a row.
    good luck
    rita
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Mellman,

My rule of thumb is that if I exercise, walking or other and create pain that's fine. If the pain's there the following day then I've over done it - sleeping usually makes my pain alot better. I could be a bit different though as mine's RA and not OA like yours.

Luv Legs :?
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi To confuse matters even more, (I have OA) its often not until the next day that I know I've done too much the day before. I find that if I do too much one day, the next I feel so tired as well as the pain. It does make your life hard to organise and I hate it if I feel I'm keeping others back! Love Sue
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Hi all now can anyone tell me how much is too much, for me it’s walking bending etc as it’s me knee caps but how do I know when or if I’m doing my OA more harm than good when I am trying to keep mobile?. Any ideas??!. :?:
    Mellman
    Thank you for this question, it is exactly my own? I have been very interested in the replies. I now struggle to work 4 X 8hr days in a row, out of necessity, financially and socially and DO NOT want to change this, but now find I have to spend the following day almost bed bound as a punishment and essential recovery time for my OA in hips and knees. Shorter working hours 7 days a week, with gentle exercise and rest, would be my ideal balance, but in the real world does anyone achieve this? So sorry to rant on your post. I hope you get further practical advise which can help you (and me!)and I really do sympathise.
    Chris
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:

As others have said, it's a balancing act of movement/pain. As with all balancing acts it takes experience. Sometimes you are OK and other times you wobble or fall off.

If you try to consider your movement/pain as a balancing act, then in time, as Dirty Harry puts it, "A wise man knows his limitations".
    e025.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • mellman01
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi To confuse matters even more, (I have OA) its often not until the next day that I know I've done too much the day before. I find that if I do too much one day, the next I feel so tired as well as the pain. It does make your life hard to organise and I hate it if I feel I'm keeping others back! Love Sue

Hi woodbon no your not confusing things I have the exact same problem with it and it drives me absolutely nuts. :?