1st Hydrotherapy session

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 21. Oct 2009, 13:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I had my first hydro session yesterday. as I arrived there was a group of women sat together, but.....they had had their session, and I was having my session with 3 men aged between 50 -60ish!!! Brill!!
I was a bit self conscious, especially gettiing changed behind the curtains with the men in their cubicle beside me! :oops: :shock:
Anyway, once in the water, i discussed my history/problems with the physio and she showed me about 6 or 7 exercises. I did ok with most but 1 or 2 caused me discomfort in my back and hip.
The sesssion in the water lasted only about 20 mins and I got a cuppa afterwards.
So my overall impression was, exercises ok, company ????
Next session next Monday.
NB

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    sounds like this might help you, i would love to have hydrotherapy.
    i had it a few years ago, i had OA in my hip, but it was stopped because it seemed to aggravate my pain.
    i had my hip resurfaced not long after and luckily my OA was gone, so no real pain, but all that was before the RA reared it's ugly head!
    i often wonder if it's worth asking for some hydro therapy as i think, like you that it might help, if nothing else it's a chance to exercise the joints without to much pressure on them, maybe i'll ask my gp?
    i hope the next session goes well!
    shame about the company though!
    sue
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Hi,

I first got hydro about 18 months ago and found it really beneficial. After my hip op the physion that I saw was my hydro guy and he has had me back in the pool for the last 7 weeks each session last about an hour or 75 mins. It is tough but worth it as I am hopeless at exercise out the pool.

Anne
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    It surprised me how much it really does work your joints/muscles. At first I didn`t think it was doing anything, but After the `warm up` I could really feel the water resistance helping.
    I am hoping that it helps to build my abductor muscles up for the next time I see my surgeon about my hip.
    I did feel good about myself re wearing a cossie, especially as I have now lost a stone !!!! (so far, I am keeping going with the weight loss ) It will all be good for my joints etc..
    NB
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi NB

Sounds like your hydro session went well, even with the 3 men :) Maybe there will be another female soon so it will even up a bit. When I had mine many years ago I loved it so hope you will too.

Love
    Vonski x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi NB,

I exercise in a pool for about an hour a week and find it does my mobility the power of good - it sounds as though it works for you too. :D

...... and precisely what's wrong with men aged 50 to 60 :? ... maybe I could join your pool and be introduced :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    I have also been in the pool with men and they are drama queens. It's a bit like man flu, everyone is pushing themselves but they insist on moaning and groaning and exclaiming how sore each move is, really quite funny.

On one occasion I was in the pool with two young lads (early 20's) they had football injuries, first time I had seen a six pack in the flesh!

anne
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I'm glad you think the hydro helped. I've never had the chance, also I'm a bit nervous about water! Although a few years ago I did learn to swim, its a few years since I've been in the water properly! :oops: Love Sue
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi linda
    You are welcome to these particular men! Not my cup of tea. But, I`m sure there are some better specimens out there!! Any way, I digress!!

Hi Anne
    Please send some injured footballers to my next session to improve the view and motivation!!!

Hi Sue
    I love swimming /water and think it may motivate me to start swimming again regularly.

NB
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Nearly,

Glad you found it helpful though I think I might agree about the changing bit :oops: The hydro I got after my back opp was such a good thing, got me moving so I hope it really helps you as well. Hope your feeling a bit less swamped now as well? Cris x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,935
    Options
    Hello Nearly b.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the hydro.
    i've been going 16 years.
    the water is warm and relaxing.
    you enjoy it. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • duskstar
    duskstar Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I'd love to do hydrotherapy, look forward to hearing more about it :)