Mouth Ulcers and Medication

Options
woodbine
woodbine Member Posts: 140
edited 22. Oct 2009, 12:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

It's been brilliant finding people on this forum that know what it's like living with arthritis - and I'm hoping for some more sympathy today :wink:

Last week I went to see my GP as I have developed a lump just below my knee. He confirmed what I already suspected - my OA, which is already in my hands and spine, has spread to my knees.

He prescribed Arthrotec, but I had to stop taking it after a few days as my mouth, particularly my tongue, was becoming very sore and ulcers were appearing all over my mouth. (I also had near-permanent indigestion, but was coping with that).

I've always been a bit prone to mouth ulcers, and this seems to happen when if I need to take my strongest pain killers (co-codamol 500/30) for more than a couple of days at a time too. Often the glands under my chin become sore at the same time.

Has anyone else out there experienced this - and has anyone found a way to reduce or stop the ulceration please? My tongue's been so sore I can hardly speak - my husband's probably been enjoying the peace :lol:

Naomi

Comments

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Perhaps you ought to discuss with gp. I seem to get a sore mouth, gums and ulcers most weeks since I went up to 20mg MTX.
    My gp prescribed Oraldene mouth wash (anti bacterial) and an artificial saliver spray for a dry mouth. I have put the make of mouth wash as the ingredient of the others are not quite the same. I now do not get the number of ulcers. I do get a sort of lose skin feeling in the cheeks and it feels sore but not as bad as it was.

hope you sort it soon

joy
  • annic4363
    annic4363 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    hi there

Oh dear, I am sorry. I had this problem too so I know how uncomfortable it is.

My GP gave me some smashing paste which protects the ulcers while they heal. I'm afraid I can't remember what it is called though

I think the bottom line is first to see your GP as soon as you can and then make sure to mention it when next you see your Rheumy, In my case it was one of the factors in me stopping mtx.

I hope you feel better soon.

Chat soon

Annie

x
    xx
    xxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I get mouth ulcers and infections like, bleeding gums whenever anything gets my body down. Colds, tummy bugs, my OA pain sometimes gets a lot worse and I get mouth ulcers then. I've thought, for me, its anything that lowers my resistance and makes me unwell. I've got them at the moment and they came before the symptoms of a cold, so now I have a cold as well :( :roll: love Sue
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I think my mouth is a warning to what colds, viruses I am going to get. I have had more problems with ulcers over the last 4 week up the point the virus manifested itself. So, yes they can be a warning that something is wrong with your system and you definitely need to see your dr.

joy