meds advice please?

carol101
carol101 Member Posts: 584
edited 27. Oct 2009, 11:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. I am taking diazepam one a day, co-codamol 2x 4times a day and a muscle relaxent (can't remember the name of hand) 1x twice a day for arthur of the spine. I have been told by my DR to have these with me at all times but only take them when i start feeling pain to try and prevent a flare up.

Well just over a week ago i had a real bad flare up which was when he prescribed me all the meds, i had been taking them all the time for about 10 days. As the pain started to ease, i started just taking them 1st thing in the morning. I done this for about 3 days and seemed able to cope. Yesterday and today i have holiday leave from work (my job is very physical) and since i had only been taking early morning dose i though yesterday i would try not to take any and i had a really good day! I'm sure as with many of you, the pain doesn't totally go away but it does get bearable at times. Today however is a different story. When i woke up the pain was unbelieveable, it took me about an hour to physche myself up to actually get out of bed.

Although Drs know best (yeah right!) I was wondering if maybe i should just take my morning dose everyday in future even if i feel i don't need it just to stop me feeling bed the next day?

Carol X

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi i take naproxin for inflimation co-codamol for pain doc said when pain gone keep taking anti inflams for about a week after to make sure it gone or comes back as u have found out .only use pain meds when need them as do not like all these tabs but do need them. on anti inflams full time at moment as could not get flare ups to stop fingers crossed things bit better. good luck take care u can always phone doc and ask to speak to them they will phone u back and u can get there advice u will know for sure
    val
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Hi Carol, I have been told to take my tabs all the time, to keep the level of pain relief, at a tolerable level. Also to keep the level of painkillers at a constant level in your blood.

I find it is easier if I take them reguarly, even though I hate taking them, as if I stop the pain comes back twice as bad.

I have been referred to the pain clinic and am hoping they will help me find a way to take less tabs. Maybe you could ask for a referral as well?

Hope your pain eases

Deb
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I take Tramadol slow release 1 x 2 a day, they keep my pain at a manageable level. Its sort of like a niggle at the back of my mind. I have OA, and its in my spine, neck and other joints. When things are bad heat helps and I also have a new TENS machine which heats up as I use it, that helps a lot, I thing the tingling distracts the mind from the pain! :shock: I also have amatriptylne at night, which really help me sleep and a memory foam pillow and mattress topper. There are other things as well, but it makes me sound like a hypocondrac to name them all!!! :oops: My point is (at last) :oops: that its good to have a basic level of pain relief, providing your GP and medics know about it and aprove, than not take anything and then have really bad pain, but do check with your GP, whats good for me may not be for you. :wink:
    Take care, love Sue
  • lori4371
    lori4371 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Carol,

I have recently been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my neck, shoulder, spine and feet. Sometimes the pain is unbearable. My doctor prescribes Diazepam for the muscle spasms and dihydrocodeine for the pain. I asked my GP if he would prescribe a higher amount of the painkiller as I have to take 2 x 4 times a day and I only get 100 tablets at one time which does not last me the month. He refused to prescribe me more as he said that sometimes people sell them!!!!! I felt as though he was treating me like a drug addict!!!! I don't think doctors take arthritic pain seriously.