Humira

Options
marionlouise
marionlouise Member Posts: 16
edited 28. Oct 2009, 15:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello ,
is there anyone out there that is on Humira cause I need to know if they are experiencing any skin conditions ?

Comments

• c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I'm on enbrel rather than humira. When I first started to inject I would get a reaction near the injection site that was red and inflamed. It went away after a day or two. After about 3 weeks of injections I stopped getting this reaction.

One of the reasons I'm on enbrel is because I have psoriasis that has failed to improve with other treatments and I've found that all but the most stubborn lesions have gone. I have read though that even though these drugs are treatments for psoriasis, they can also cause it in some people.

What kind of reaction have you had and can you describe what it looks like?
  • lyndagodbeer
    lyndagodbeer Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi
    I have been on Humira for not long, 2 injections. No sign of any skin problems as yet. Where are the problems? Is it where you are injecting?
    Lynda
  • marionlouise
    Options
    Hi ,
    the reaction iv been getting has been three seperate sites of red ,very sore and hot areas . I have just finished one course of antibiotics on tuesday and have to start a new course today already. That will be three lots in three months!!!! I know my immune system is low but I'm starting to worry now . Oh and it isnt anywere near the injection site. thanks to you all for replying :-)
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    Are you still injecting while taking antibiotics? I don't know if you know that you are supposed to stop injecting if you have an infection or are on antibiotics. I've just finished a course so I haven't injected for 2 weeks (usually twice a week).

The problem sounds like it might be a type of allergic reaction and not necessarily to the humira. I think it would be worth seeing the Dr. Do the patches only come up after you inject or are they there all the time?
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    I have been on humira for a year, and had nothing but skin rashes on my legs, I have had to take loads of antibiotics, I have had swollen ankles and swollen feet, and bad cellulitis, also water on my lungs, my weight was up and down, one minute I could put a top on, the next day wouldn't fit. The Rheumy has just realised that this drug has caused me all the problems so has changed me to Enbrel. I haven't started taking it yet as I am full of flu and still have infected legs from the Humira, so will wait another 2 weeks.
    I did feel some good benefit from Humira, I couldn't get out of bed to begin with, the Humira got me up, but unfortunately, I had to go back to bed to lift my legs high to try and get the fluid down!!! win some lose some... Good luck, you also might need to look at the other options, Enbrel is a weekly injection pen.
  • marionlouise
    Options
    luckybug wrote:
    I have been on humira for a year, and had nothing but skin rashes on my legs, I have had to take loads of antibiotics, I have had swollen ankles and swollen feet, and bad cellulitis, also water on my lungs, my weight was up and down, one minute I could put a top on, the next day wouldn't fit. The Rheumy has just realised that this drug has caused me all the problems so has changed me to Enbrel. I haven't started taking it yet as I am full of flu and still have infected legs from the Humira, so will wait another 2 weeks.
    I did feel some good benefit from Humira, I couldn't get out of bed to begin with, the Humira got me up, but unfortunately, I had to go back to bed to lift my legs high to try and get the fluid down!!! win some lose some... Good luck, you also might need to look at the other options, Enbrel is a weekly injection pen.
    hi luckybug thank you so much for replying I thought It was only happening to me , my rheumy has taken me off Humira due to skin problems and I will be starting Rituximab as soon as iv finished this latest course of antibiotics and the humira is out of my system. I was on embrel before humira it was really good for a couple of years and then just stopped working for me , I wish you more luck with embrel than I had. hope you get over flu real soon :-)[/quote]