Methotrexate

Options
annie_mial
annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
edited 24. Oct 2009, 09:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm due to start metho in two weeks time. I've read all the blurb I can find, but has anybody got any hints or tips that the blurbs don't say?
Oh, I'm being given folic acid 5mg x 2 per week.
As a complete newcomer to this I'd appreciate any help!

Annie

Comments

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've been on it since the beginning of august. Normally you start off with a fairly low dose and gradually increase. This gives your body time to get used to it. I was worried about taking it because of the long list of side effects but they mostly apply to the higher doses they give to people with Cancer.
    I take anti sickness tablets for a few days starting with the day I take the methotrexate. I was bothered by nausea rather than sickness before I started them but am fine now. I do wish you the very best with it. I think it's supposed to be very good at slowing the disease down.
    There are lots of people on here who are taking it and I'm sure they will come along and help soon.
    rita
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Thanks, Rita. I'm starting at 7.5 per week. Like you, I'm already bothered by nausea and it's worrying me.

Cheers!
    Annie
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Are you taking anything for your sickness? If not then why not pop down and ask your GP to prescribe some anti sikness tablets. They really do work and GP's are happy to prescribe them.
    do let us know how you get on annie mail
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I used to be on MXT tablets, I had terrible problems with sickness, now I am having the injections, they are delivered to me and I do them at home, I have the odd sicky days but on the whole it is much better love Jaspercatxx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I started on 7 1/2 tablets at first 2 years ago. wasn't passing through my stomach properly because of underlying health issues, so went on to 10 mg injections - now on 20 mg.
    Have only felt nauseous a few times depending on what time of the day you take your medication. I find 3 pm a good time. I start feeling really tired by the time bed time comes and I sleep pretty good. I have forgotten 2 or 3 times and have done the injection nearer bed time. Then, I wake up feeling a bit sicky, but drink loads of water after you take it and again when you wake up.
    Wednesday, I do feel extra tired all day and then I find parts of my feet and hands and other areas affected by arthritis to start hurting or go into spasms, but it doesn't last long. When I first went on to MTX, I use to have my folic acid 24 hrs after the injection/tablets. If I started getting more bothersome side affects, I would increase folic acid to one every day except the day you take MTX. It sounds long winded and everyone is different. Just remember to drink plenty of water.

joy
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Thank you to all you lovely people.
    So far I've got -
    -go to GP and get some anti-sicky pills
    -and drink plenty of water (oh dear, that's something I find hard to do).
    I think I'll be fine.......

Ever hopeful
    Annie
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI,

to add to your list .... be patient! you may find that the first few weeks are not so good, but if you can grin and bear it then you may find that your body gets used to it, and you cope a lot better.
    it takes time to get to work too.

If you find that you are feeling very sick, they may decide to up your folic acid. Many of us take it every day except the MTX day.

Injections can be used if tablets don't work - they work much better for me than the tablets did!
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Thanks, Wonky. I am getting a bit worried as I am on another medication which is giving me grief at night and I'm not sure I can cope with two of them. Will see doc before I start MTX and see if there's anything she can do for me.
    Luv
    Annie
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Annie,

I take Mtx Tuesday morning because if I have any sicky problems I'd rather they didn't interfere with my weekend and for the same reason I can drink some wine then too - in the very old days you were told not to have alcohol one day before taking Mtx and not two days after. This may not bother you but I like to stick to it. The day you chose will probably differ especially if you work.

Any side effects you experience will most probably settle down - although I know in a few cases it doesn't. Mine did and now I get no side effects at all.

Make sure you have your routine blood tests.

It can take up to three months before you notice any significant differences with your arthritis - I was lucky I noticed within the first month.

Good luck for when you start. :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Thanks Linda - I do work, but part time at the end of the week now. I was thinking I'd take mine Monday tea time to start with - I can have a glass of wine at the weekend then, too.
    I've noticed it seems to be a very individual choice as to what time of the day it's taken and to start with that would seem to be my best bet, hopefully any probs will be overnight and into Tuesday, which would be the best solution for me.
    Trial and error, I guess.
    I can hardly wait!
    Luv
    Annie