Keeping warm and saving energy

Options
sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
edited 24. Oct 2009, 19:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Just received the electricity bill - it gets worse. We've just bought some energy saving remote control pack of 3 plugs so that we can turn off tv/dvd remotely at night and another pack for upstairs computers etc. Focus were selling 5 energy saving light bulbs for .49p so we some.

We are thinking of getting heatkeeper radiator panels but not sure if these work - has anyone tried them? They sit behind the radiator and reflect the heat (supposedly) back into the room and not onto the wall. We had the loft insulated last year and cavity wall insulation too. This has really helped - the house is warmer.

Anything to save money and stop our suppliers making so many millions of pounds profit each year!

When you have arthritis you need to keep warm. Energy saving advice welcome. We keep thick blankets behind the sofa to snuggle up with; close curtains early (and they are all lined); keep doors shut an the house is also double glazed. What more can we do?

Sharmaine

Comments

• c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The only thing I think you've missed is the bottle of wine to make you feel warmer in yourself! :P
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    I think you've done everything you can! I also snuggle under a blanket when watching tv, i'm not so sure if the house is insulated but then i'm only renting.

You could borrow my dog, she is a 2yr lab/terrier cross and weighs about 27kg but she thinks she's a cat as she loves to sit on your lap in the evenings! Very warm and cosy then :D
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone have a slanket? just wondered if they were as good as they look.

Love
    Vonski x
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    vonski wrote:
    Hi

Does anyone have a slanket? just wondered if they were as good as they look.

Love
    Vonski x

I haven't personally but 1 of my friends had something very simular. It was like an extreamly wide scarf that you wore around your shoulders and it had pockets in the front.

Just a thought, they sell them on ebay. Why not do a search (you don't have to register) and have a look at the sellers feedback to see what the buyers are saying about them.

Carol x
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    hi,there was a big piece in my paper this wk for money saving im no good on doing links but the address is;cheaper energy .
    www.energyhelpline.com/mail
    ive not had chance to look as im under the weather at the minute.
    there was also another for saving on tv,broadband & phone packages
    www.simplifydigital.co.uk/dailymail.
    the blankets were in there to at a reduced price.

as for the radiators(we dont have any)but i was told foil does the same job.
    hope that some help to save a few pennies over the winter,im dreading the winter bills as were all electric.
    luv debs