result from ESA medical

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 26. Oct 2009, 13:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm not entitled as I have no limited capability to work apparently. Although today I couldn't wash or dress myself, need help getting off chairs and giving me meds as I'm so distracted through pain and fatigue.
I look like something from the adams family!! Poor hubbie is playing full time carer again.

Letter from ESA is v confusing, just a collection of random sentences some contradicting others. Will have to ring up and clarify (again). Also going to get copy of medical report (if allowed) as interested in what doc said.

Needless to say we will be appealing! Any advice from others who have been through the same process?

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Arent you pregnant Jenzie?Def fit for work then?
    It is just a ruse for getting people off incapacity benefit.

I think Handsy has his appeal on the 28th.I am sure he will post about it.

What a farce!
    Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    Good for you for appealing. Make sure that they realise that you are pregnant meaning that you can't take most of the medications that could help with your condition. Also that they are now considering the health of your baby as well. If you over do things because you are seen as fit enough to work and you go into preterm labour they will be partly responsible. You have you spell these things out for them and repeat yourself in every question where the same answer applies. Don't assume that they will remember because you have written the details elsewhere. That was the advice I was given for my DLA application.

Fingers crossed for you.
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi Jenzie
    My ESA medical decided that I had no limited capacity to work, so I took it to appeal no change. I am now taking them to tribunal. They have to send you the information they used to make their decision. When I got mine I burst into tears, I had spent 3 weeks filling form in, they had ignored everything, the report from the medical is wrong in loads of places. I have been to see my MP because I am so angry at the way new claimants are being treated. He couldn't believe the questions as he realises Arthritis is not yes/no illness. He is taking a interest in the outcome of my Tribunal and is going to look into why people are being declared fit for work when it obvious that they are not.
    Put in for the appeal and then go for tribunal if they turn you down. it;s bad enough having arthur and with you being pregnant as well they should realise that most arthur drugs cannot be used.
    I am usually very easy-going but ESA has brought out my stubborn side and the more i see and hear the way they are treating people the more determined I am to do my bit to get this stopped. sorry rant over, will go and lie down in darkened room. Good luck Fay
  • carol71
    carol71 Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you luck Jenzie

Carol xxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, apparently 80% of cases are changed on appeal, or so I understand it. Apparentlly its more profitalbe to fail you the first time. I'm not sure why, but my husband read the figures in some medical magazine. GP's are getting fed up with the way the system works. Not to mention us. I'm waiting to fill in a form for the medical let alone have it and I claimed on 18th June, when work ill health retired me, and that was the Social Services, County Council, Occy Health independant Doctor!!! :shock: Madness, isn't it. Get your appeal in a.s.a.p. and try not to worry. (What a silly thing for me to say, but I mean it!)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jenzie,

I don't know what system thy use but it seems they are hell bent on failing everyone. Maybe it is more profitable to fail people, as Sue said but they are basically having to stand up to talk! I really hope you go for it cus its so wrong to use this unfair system!

Hi Fay,

Just to wish you good luck as well. Take care Cris
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Thanks guys. To be honest I'm not stressing too much as I'm not eligible for money but they were paying my national insurance contributions.

As well as appealing I'm also contacting my mp to show him the stupid letter the DWP sent me. Its so confusing and means that I'm going to have to ring up and clarify it, costing me the money of the phone call I may add.

I can't wait to see what the medical report says!! Apparently if you can reach your knees you can work a 37hr week. Amazing!

I'm not letting this silly system stress me or my baby out, life is far too short.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry to hear about your ESA medical fiasco. It's all very confusing and I've heard several stories. Some people have said that they observe you from hidden cameras in waiting rooms and even from the car park. It's criminal that your GP can't sign the appropriate forms for you and you have to be assessed by someone who doesn't even know your medical history.

My medical was fine and I was awarded ESA last year. Do they do these annually? I can reach my knees (but not my toes!) and I need both knees replacing. How ludicrous - I should imagine a lot of people can touch their knees????

Their letters are not easy to comprehend and I had to read it twice before I understood that I was awarded ESA. I think this year they're being tougher - not sure what their criteria is.

I hope your appeal goes well.

Sharmaine

jenzie06 wrote:
    I'm not entitled as I have no limited capability to work apparently. Although today I couldn't wash or dress myself, need help getting off chairs and giving me meds as I'm so distracted through pain and fatigue.
    I look like something from the adams family!! Poor hubbie is playing full time carer again.

Letter from ESA is v confusing, just a collection of random sentences some contradicting others. Will have to ring up and clarify (again). Also going to get copy of medical report (if allowed) as interested in what doc said.

Needless to say we will be appealing! Any advice from others who have been through the same process?
  • shelleymogui
    shelleymogui Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi,

We are waiting to hear about Dads entitlement now but I doubt we will get it. He had his medical about 2 weeks ago. How long did everyone have to wait to find out on the medical side (understand that the money and medical side are treated differently)

Shelley x