Physio appointment

carol71
carol71 Member Posts: 131
edited 25. Oct 2009, 08:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've been to 3 now.

The first one I was shown some excersises to do and told to carry them on at home. They involved moving my head up and down and from left to right. They do seem to be helping with movement in my neck. I've gained a little more movement, although it really does hurt, but no pain no gain eh.

The 2nd one he shoved his thumbs into the crevises of my neck and had me move my arm up and down. We didn't do much else that week as he said he didn't want to over work me having done what ever it was he did when he was applying pressure in my neck crevises.

The 3rd we did more excersises. This time working on my right arm and shoulder again. He said that the pain i'm experiencing is due to trapped nerves.

Next week he's giving me an ultrasound treatment on it. Anyone had this and what does it mean? He's also told me to switch from applying heat to it to applying frozen compress instead.

All was seemingly going well but yesterday I just turned the tap on in the bathroom and a searing pain shot through my shoulder and i've been in pain with it ever since.

I'm wondering do I stop the excersise or carry on even though it hurts like hell? What would you sugest ?

Carol xxx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Carol

I am sorry to read that you have "done" something to your shoulder when turning on the tap. I would not do the exercises if the pain is horrid. There is a difference isn't there between doing exercises and getting some discomfort but then benefit and real pain on doing them.

An ultrasound is painless and does not take long. Your neck will be wiped with a thin gel that helps the transducer glide over the skin and assists in conducting the sound waves. I find it quite relaxing really - I have had it done on my neck. You will just lie or sit there while it is being done. You will then be given tissues to wipe away the gel or the physio will do it for you.

I do hope you feel a little better very soon.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.