MTX for RA

Options
barbara01
barbara01 Member Posts: 85
edited 25. Oct 2009, 20:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

Can anyone tell me if they are controlling their RA taking MTX on its own, and whats the lowest dose anyone has managed as a maintenance dose.

Hate taking this every week and am looking I guess for something positive to look to the future.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend...painfree I hope...

Barbara

Just wanted to add is anyone taking a split dose and if so does it help with the tiredness xx

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HI Barbara

Cant help so much as I take Leflunomide along
    with MTX 12.5 mgs and dont know anyone who is under
    control with just MTX.

Maybe someone will come along soon with
    some info for you.

Kath
  • barbara01
    Options
    Thanks Kath

The range of doses for MTX seems to vary greatly, am looking for something positive to inspire me...its MTX day today !!
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Good luck with it Barbara

I have never had complications
    with MTX
    i.e. sickness etc.

been on it for 9 years now

Kath
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Always tell your consultant before you alter your dosage so that they know what is happening. You should also be taking it with food and Folic Acid 24 hours after your MTX dose, which should help with any effects.

I have been on MTX for 9 years as well, but suffer from nausea for a couple of days after.

A recent post said that scrambled egg with the dose helped.
    r040.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • barbara01
    Options
    Thanks...am trying a split dose today in the hope that it will help...we'll see.

Barbara xxx
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    MTX kept mine under control for a long while at 20mg but have had problems since needing higher dose, so am now lowering the MTX to 15mg and adding in Leflunomide which gives me fewer problems.

I think we all react differently so you need to see what works for you.
  • handsy
    handsy Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi babs, i am 45 yrs young and take 20mg MTX also MST and tramadol, Etodolac. Have just been moved up to 20mg I would say that it has not helped me still have some really bad pain. I think that for a couple of years I just worked through the pain. This has caused untold damage. My consultant has said he will check with me around December to see if i need any more? I have been told the injections are more productive as you absoorb more of the MTX into your system with less side effects. hope this has been a help. :D