Stair lift

Options
angel1968
angel1968 Member Posts: 2
edited 27. Oct 2009, 18:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have OA in spine, elbow, both hips and both knees. It has become apparent that I need a stairlift. My OT says that the waiting list is 18 months and I cant wait that long. Does anyone have one? Where did you get it? How much did it cost?
Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    A straight stairs, second-hand one should be available for about £1,000 fitted. They can be hired as well. I don't use a stairlift so otherwise I can't help.

Try googling 'stair lifts' for more info.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Sorry to hear that you have this problem. I don't have a stair lift, but my neice, who has a neuro problem, has one and she finds it a great help. She lives in a smallish house with a steep, narrow staircase with a twist at the top and the company she bought it from made it fit very well and the seat folds up, so others can pass.

I think she had to buy it for herself, but it is second hand. The company that made it buys them back and re-conditions them. It is as good as new and now provides the only way she can get up stairs.

Her local OT dept helped her choose and allowed her to try one in the local hospital, so she could tell if she could use it. I think it came from the famous ST####na firm. You should also be able to get some help with choosing it from your Occupational Therapist. It is worth asking them, if that is what you want to do.

I hope you find some help, love Sue
  • northumbrian
    northumbrian Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi
    My 82yr old mother bought one a few years ago for her steep stairs. I think she has some advice from occupational health. I found it very useful when I visited recently to get my suit case upstairs. It has certainly made her life much easier, she could not live in that house without it.
    TP