is it OA?

Options
carol101
carol101 Member Posts: 584
edited 12. Jan 2010, 07:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
When my Dr diagnosed me, all he said was i have arthritis. He said the bottom bone in my spine has badly worn and has grown a spur which is actually growing backwards back into my spine.

Is the OA?

On reading the info on here, it says that OA is more to do with the cartilage that protects the bones.

I'm confused :?

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Carol

My guess is that you have OA because you say your spine is badly worn ie wear and tear, Osteo Arthritis. It can also be called facet joint osteoarthritis or spinal arthritis. I am sure you would have been with a rheumi department if your gp had ever suspected RA.

You could ask your gp outright, what he means by his diagnosis of arthritis.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Why do doctors have to use so many different terms to say what your problem is? Generally 'wear and tear' 'degenerative arthritis' are all terms that refer to osteoarthritis.

I agree it is very confusing, I have OA in my spine and some more joints. My GP took blood tests when I first saw her and I still have them from time to time, just to make sure.

I think what you need to do is go back to see your GP and ask exactly what they think the problem is and how they want to treat it. I know it can be hard to do that, but it is your body and you do need to know what is going on and what may need to be done to help you. If you have a friend or family member you can take, it often helps you remember and gives you some support.

I hope all goes well for you, love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Carol,

As Elna and Sue said it does sound like OA. Mine has chucked up a fair bit of extra bone as lips, spurs and fins (never worked out what a fine is :shock: ) and it as it tries to repair its self that it makes extra bone(?) Its called ossification and can (and in my case has) fuse it a bit. Mine is certainly oa and the bones rub a bit but thankfully except for he peripheral nerves the extra bits have been kind to me and have actually strengthened the spine...... That's how I look at it anyway :wink:

I agree they use far too many words. I didn't understand that spondylosis is oa either..... If you can get a double appointment with your gp and ask him what is actually going on there. Take care Cris x
  • carol101
    Options
    I have just looked up spinal arthritis on the net and it does sound like that's what i've got but you know what it's like, it's so easy to read something and say 'i've got that'. It wasn't until i found this site that i realised there wer so many types of arthritis. The Dr has given me co-codamol, diazepam and a muscle relaxent (can't remember the name off hand) and told me to always have them with me but only take them when i need them. I had a flare up just over a week ago and was taking the full dosage everyday for about 10 days. I have since cut this down to just taking the morning dose but i have found that if i have a day without taking any, then i pay for it the next day.

I certainly will ask my Dr to explain it more to me. I have only been with this Dr about 18 months and it seems i have to force the information out of him although after 17yrs of back pain on and off, he is the 1st Dr to actually investigate why i was getting the pain so i'm a little reluctent to change Dr at this stage
  • carol71
    carol71 Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Hi Carol

It does sound similar to what I have only mine is in the top of my spine ie neck. Doc said it's Osteoarthritis and spondilosis (? spelling)
    I had a neck xray that gave my diagnosis back in June. Not had blood tests. I was just refared for physio which I started 3 wks ago.
    As the others have said make an appointment with your doctor to ask any questions and talk things over further.

Carol xxx
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Carol
    I went for 15 years syaing I had worn discs in my lower spine because that is what I was told by my GP. now I know that is OA and also now I have it in almost every joint in my body. You must have had blood tests and a X ray to confirm the diagnosis of Arthritis and they will confirm whether its OA or RA.
    Ask your GP which one it is then you can come to terms and deal with it.
    Gook Luck
    Denise.x
  • carol101
    Options
    denpen wrote:
    Hi Carol
    I went for 15 years syaing I had worn discs in my lower spine because that is what I was told by my GP. now I know that is OA and also now I have it in almost every joint in my body. You must have had blood tests and a X ray to confirm the diagnosis of Arthritis and they will confirm whether its OA or RA.
    Ask your GP which one it is then you can come to terms and deal with it.
    Gook Luck
    Denise.x

Hi Denise, I've only had x rays done. After joining this group i get the feeling my Dr isn't really all that bothered with me. I find a lot more out on here than i do at the surgery!

Hugs
    Carol X
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Carol
    Your GP must think its OA that is the one that shows up on X Ray.

I have just got a new GP only because my previous one retired early I saw him today and he "asked" me how my pain was because I saw him last week about my arthritis and he gave me some extra painkillers. I didnt go about this today but I couldnt believe that he actually asked. Isnt that great.
    Denise
  • gloria028
    gloria028 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi there
    I have had spinal arthritis for about 10 years now
    I have had xrays and a CT scan of my lower back
    It has shown up all sorts of thing - slippage of 4th vertebra over 5th ,primary and secondary spinal stenosis ,osteophytes and disc narrowings between L 4/5 and l5/S1

I manage this fairly well with anti- inflammatories and excercies and i walk half an hour every day - This keeps me mobile and just about able to manage

My worst problem is standing -- I have to sit down after a couple of minutes This means i sit at the sink and the cooker and find queues or even standing to talk to people difficult I would get bad bouts of sciatica and pain in the buttocks

Anyway I have been seen by a spinal surgeon the other day who talked about rods and screws and will do an MRI and discuss the possibility of surgery .

Any advise anyone??
    Thanks

Gloria
  • lifeisadream
    lifeisadream Member Posts: 27
    Options
    carol101 wrote:
    I have just looked up spinal arthritis on the net and it does sound like that's what i've got but you know what it's like, it's so easy to read something and say 'i've got that'. It wasn't until i found this site that i realised there wer so many types of arthritis. The Dr has given me co-codamol, diazepam and a muscle relaxent (can't remember the name off hand) and told me to always have them with me but only take them when i need them. I had a flare up just over a week ago and was taking the full dosage everyday for about 10 days. I have since cut this down to just taking the morning dose but i have found that if i have a day without taking any, then i pay for it the next day.

I certainly will ask my Dr to explain it more to me. I have only been with this Dr about 18 months and it seems i have to force the information out of him although after 17yrs of back pain on and off, he is the 1st Dr to actually investigate why i was getting the pain so i'm a little reluctent to change Dr at this stage

Hi Carol

It looks like you have a good Doc there, I would keep him.

I also have OA and bone spurs which can compress a nerve and cause a serious muscle spasm. My Docs have given me Diazapam for the spasms but are always very twichy on the amount they will prescribe. When I ask for an alternative muscle relaxant, they say there isn't one - fibs.

What meds do they give you Carol?

Paul
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have OA in my spine and a bone spur is causing me a bit of trouble in my neck by comressing a nerve. Thats what the MRI told them, anyway.

I sounds like something similar, but I had a blood test to rule out RA, and I have them about every 6 months, as they can treat that with drugs, they need to be sure what you have. I'd have a word with your GP, I had to ask, they seem reluctant to use the words, I don't know why, I like to know what I'm up against! Good luck. Love Sue