Just home after THR Tuesday!

Options
penfactor
penfactor Member Posts: 366
edited 31. Oct 2009, 14:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello my old friends & new!
Got home yesterday after my op on Tuesday & things are progressing as they should! The hosp really pleased with how I'm coping esp the physios. All that exercise over the years must have had some benefit i guess. Am only taking paracetamol & codeine too as you know how terrified I am of drugs!
Was on much stronger stuff straight after of course but managed to ease up friday.
Only prob is I do have the limb discrepancy so would love to hear from others who know more about this.
Feel free to private message me although I have trouble being notified on those for some reason
Love to all those here who know me
Pennie X

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good to see you posting again, after your op, Pennie. :) Pleased to hear that you are doing well too. Let us know how you go on.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, WELCOME BACK! It's so good to hear that you'r home and doing so well! You must have worked hard in hospital, with the physios and be proud of yourself. As for pain relief, of course you still need some, but as time goes by hopefully you can come off that! Although theirs no shame in taking medication when you need it. Its the thing that helps you get back your normal strength.

Good luck, don't overdo anything - putting yourself back is the last thing you need. Take good care, love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Pennie,

Well done and welcome back. I really hope this op will give you back your mobility and I sorry I can't help you with the limp thing but I am sure they will do ll they can to help you there. Go careful and take it easy. Luv Cris x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I am really pleased that your op went well and that you are back home again.
    Take things at your own pace over the next few weeks and months and don`t be tempted to `test` your new hip!!
    My physio thought I have some discrepancy at first, as I was limping a lot, but I now think it was muscular etc.. from limping for so long pre op due to the OA/displasia. It has improved ++++ with physio and time. It was only a small discrepancy when measured and being pain free is so much more of a bonus.
    I was offered a lift for in my shoe but have not had one. Maybe this could be an option for you to correct things. Hope you get things sorted xxx
    NB
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi Pennie
    Well its all over and done with for you that great news.
    Its early days yet take on board what NB has said and take it slowly and easy and see how things go. the worst is over for you now.
    Good luck with everything.
    Denise.
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Welcome back! So glad to hear that all has gone well - take it easy at home and you'll be back on your feet in no time!!
    All best wishes, Josie x
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    welcome back! it is good to hear that you ahve done so well ... hop that continues :D:D
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i'm glad you're back and glad the op went well.
    take it easy and do as you're told and you'll soon be right as rain (what does that mean!!)
    sue
  • debbieclap
    debbieclap Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Hi
    I had a THR seven weeks ago and they have rectified my discrepancy so for the first time in forty eight years I am level . I used to have a raising inside my shoe but no longer need this.

Take things slowly and don't worry about taking pain killers I still take paracetamol and codeine if I kneed it

Debbie
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies, guys! Hi Debbie - the physio called to check on me Wednesday & wanted to refer me for walking aid/lift but I told her consultant said to wait so am doing that. I have been in a LOT of pain the last couple of nights & had to go emergency docs Mon as ankle had swelled up but that was just water build-up from leg not moving properly apparently.
    Am finding things bit scary at mo as my so has been here looking after me & has to go back work Monday so am dreading being on my own - I keep dropping my pick-up stick or my crutch & still haven't sussed out how to get my own food!
    Staples should be out Tuesday - how is that? I've heard/hope not as bad as stitches.
    love Pennie X
  • debbieclap
    debbieclap Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Hi Penny
    I was scared about the staples but they are easy less pain than stitches just uncomfy but it feels great once they are out.

You could get your son to put some meals in the freezer for you so you can just pull them out as you need them.
    It does get easier as time goes on them pain will settle down.

Debbie
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Well done on coming through your op and recovery so far. It is a scary time I know but you have friends on here to chat to and ask questions of. Taking staples out is much easier than stiches and if you have any questions it 's a good opportunity to ask the nurse who removes them. When I was on crutches a little while ago I put a stool in the middle of my small kitchen so I could reach the kettle and sink while sitting. My Daughter also bought me one of those flask type cups with a screw lid and I was able to carry hot liquid/ soup/coffee without spilling it all over the place.
    Hope all goes well for you and will keep an eye out for updates. Good luck.
    rita
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I invested in a couple of flasks, one for coffee, and a food one for pasta, soup, whatever really. My hubby made up the contents before he went back to work and I had a table by my seat, with everything from food, drinks, phone etc...
    I also had an apron with a large pocket on front to carry anything else I fancied form kitchen (not liquids obviously!!) to my seat. I had a perching stool in the kitchen so I could start to make stuff when I felt up to it, Just had to be creative re carrying it to table after, well sliding it really!!
    We arranged all utensils , plates, cups at a reachable height pre op so I had some independence.
    Hope the pain has settled. I had the swelling in my foot the day after I came home. It looked like an elephants foot, yuk! But it went down after a few days of rest and foot exercises.
    NB
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Pennie, only just caught up with this thread - glad that things are progressing well, despite having a blip on Monday. Try not to leave off the painkillers too early - I don't think you'll get an award for it. :wink: Plenty of rest and gentle exercise and don't overdo it. I'm sure you'll manage fine next week because each day you'll get that bit better.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • ikesother
    ikesother Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Hi and welcome back after your THR! Sorry, Ive only just read your news, Im always on the go these days 12 weeks post THR and life is brill, no pain, hurrah! Hope you get your difference with leg length sorted, Ive got mine the same length for the first time in 42 years, so that was a strange experience :wink: Remember to take it easy, plenty of chocolates and tv, well done you, jk :wink: