Les Miserables

katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 26. Oct 2009, 12:45 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well I've had my weekend away with Hubby in London and we went to see Les Miserables.

For one very rare time in my life I was speechless. I left the theatre in tears and could not speak for emotion. If ever any of you get the chance to see this remarkable musical then please go you won't regret it.

I'm going to try and buy the DVD tomorrow!!!

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    katekelly wrote:
    Well I've had my weekend away with Hubby in London and we went to see Les Miserables.

For one very rare time in my life I was speechless. I left the theatre in tears and could not speak for emotion. If ever any of you get the chance to see this remarkable musical then please go you won't regret it.

I'm going to try and buy the DVD tomorrow!!!

Gosh that good and sad is it. I've not seen it. Where was it on?Did you like London?

trisher x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    oh Kate

I know what you mean, saw it a while ago and loved it :D The songs are so well known but to see it all live was amazing. Such a lovely story. I really think it is one of those shows you should go and see once a year and never tire of it. So glad you enjoyed it. Hope the whole weekend went well.
    Chris :)
  • trisher
    chris7 wrote:
    oh Kate

I know what you mean, saw it a while ago and loved it :D The songs are so well known but to see it all live was amazing. Such a lovely story. I really think it is one of those shows you should go and see once a year and never tire of it. So glad you enjoyed it. Hope the whole weekend went well.

Chris Kate I know I've seen it maybe film cannot remember tell me a little something of it. I have trouble to remember on my meds

trishxx
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    trisher wrote:
    chris7 wrote:
    oh Kate

Chris Kate I know I've seen it maybe film cannot remember tell me a little something of it. I have trouble to remember on my meds

trishxx

It's about a man who goes to jail for 19 years for stealing a loaf of bread. When he is set free he finds it hard to get work because his papers say he is a thief. A priest takes pity on him and he takes him in. He gives him food and shelter but the man (Valjean) steals his silver. Valjean is then caught by the soldiers and they take him back to the Priests house to get the Priest to say that the silver had been stolen. The Priest said that he had given the silver to Valjean so that he wasn't imprisoned again. Valjean became a reformed man and decided to always do good. Some years later he became a factory owner. One of the girls working for him had an illegitamate child who lived in an inn and she sent money for the child to be cared for. The Mother lost her job and to make money had her hair cut off which she sold and then turned to prostitution. She was roughed up by a client and she ended up before the judge because she scratched the punter. Valjean was at the court and he saved her. By this time she was dying and Valjean swore to her that he would take care of her little girl.
    That's the basis of it- it carries on quite a bit more but that shold be enough to jog your memory.
    We went to see it in London as our anniversary treat (8 years tomorrow),. Hubby had never been to a show before and he was mesmerised- wants to go again. He's thinking maybe Phantom but he has also said he'd like to see Les Mis again-so would I!!!

I'm absolutely shattered now though. It really has taken it out of me but then again it was worth it.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Trish

Kate has covered most of the plot above. I was worried that I wouldn't follow it as from the novel by Victor Hugo I had never read and would have thought a bit dry and dusty . You really need to see it if you can. The whole thing is in song so easy to follow, the story so poignant, bits of history, religion and romance. Also a famous battle of Waterloo scene with an amazing set. You really do leave enchanted and in tears. Am sure you will have heard many of the songs, think Susan Boyle sang one on Britains got talent? I can't recommend it highly enough and would certainly see it again. I think it gets booked up monthes in advance because so many people see it again and again.
    Chris
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Hello KateK

Get the 10th anniversary concert dvd. It was recorded at
    the Royal Albert Hall and is brilliant. At the end all the Jean
    Valjeans who had appeared in the world wide productions
    up to that time file on stage in a stupendous finale.
    I.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Kate
    Glad you loved it.As I said I just had to shut my eyes,I was so tired from the travelling but it was atrip for my two older daughters and they still love the cd.
    Take care TK
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • trisher
    Chris

Thank you, I can remember it now.

When Hubby is well and can come home I will go with him, something special to do, when we are together again.

Gosh Chris I miss him so much the days are getting harder not easier.

I'm a bit down again today.

trish xx