new ergonomic keyboard ..... anyone else use one?

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 28. Oct 2009, 19:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
have today finally got my new keyboard set up on the computer and am trying it our tonight. because it is shaped the keys are larger in some parts, so I am findin that a bit strange. my main problem is that wiht the wrist splints on it is hard to reach the shift key .... but there are lotsof short cut keys so will have to work them all out.

just pressed something by accident and got two new tabs opened up wihtout my knowing how :shock: clever eh?

anyone else use an ergonomic keyboard? any hints on getting the most out of it?

Comments

• livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have used one of these 'natural' keyboards for many years. They make typing much easier and many extras are built in.

The main thing to remember is that you need to relax your shoulders when you use it and try not to press your elbows against your sides as you would with a normal keyboard. Using the numeric keypad for entering figures is also much easier and Num Lock can be left turned permanently on as they are spaced away from the other keys.

I still don't use the F1 to F12 keys even though they are probably programmed to do something. I use the Home and End keys to move across text quickly and the direction keys as well on text and webpages.

When you get used to the new layout, then a standard keyboard seems crowded and difficult to use. It takes time to relax and initially get used to the slightly different layout, but in time you realise the ease of use it brings.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Joseph

Do you find that much better as I have a new Dell Inspiron and having a lot of trouble typing.

I keep hitting the enlarg text / make text smaller which is at the bottom on the right everything is large one moment and small the next.
    I have heard you are the man to ask.

trisher
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Wonkey

Do you mind telling me where you got it from. You recommend it do you?

Do you get them custom made or are they standard? I'm finding it really hard to use my computer with splints. I know they are going to tell me off as I cannot type with them on.I have tried since I was given them, when I go to the hand therapist she will see how difficult.

It just plugs into your computer.

I bought a Dell Inspiron and it is making life worse I tend to lean on the keys.

I did Google it but they are American, so did you have it inported.
    It looks good though. It seems perfect for use in a wheelchair, do you think so.

trisher x
  • livinglegend
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Hi Joseph

Do you find that much better as I have a new Dell Inspiron and having a lot of trouble typing.

I keep hitting the enlarg text / make text smaller which is at the bottom on the right everything is large one moment and small the next.
    I have heard you are the man to ask.

trisher

I would suggest that you pop into a large computer store such as PCworld where they have keyboards on show and try different keyboard layouts to find one that is good for you. You should make sure that you get the UK keyboard layout if ordering online, as many are supplied with a USA layout. The UK one has an 'enter' key in the shape of an upside-down letter L, while the USA one has a bar enter key.

With all keyboards, you may find that a gel or padded wrist support which rests along the front of the keyboard may help to stop hitting keys by accident.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, About 10 years ago, I had to go on a computer safety course at work. They had all sorts of keyboards to try out and different mouses, or should that be mice, :D. I didn't have any problems at the time, so didn't bother too much, but I know one type was very easy to use and seemed better, it was a sort of half circle and the keys were at the same height and angle as they are naturally. Some of the others they had seemed very odd, but they probably suited some people with hand problems and as I say I didn't have any problems then. I have also seen people use wrist rests, a girl in the office I worked in had one and once she got used to it she found it a great help. Like everything, its trial and error, also what suits one type of hand problem is no good for another.
    Thats Life!!! :roll: Hope you find whats best for you. Love Sue
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    The one I have was bought for me ..... it had lots of good reviews on a web site I looked at. Trisher I am sending you the info by PM.

I would say that it would be a good idea to have a look at one if you can and try it out ...... I can' recommend it yet as I am still very much learning!

Thanks Joseph about the elbows/shoulders. I was not on for long last night but could feel it in my shoulders. Today I have moved things about and I feel more comfy.

just discovered that it was the mouse that they keyboard disabled when I uploaded the software :shock: so will have to sort that out ...... hubby uses it - he can't cope with my joystick :lol:
  • livinglegend
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    just discovered that it was the mouse that they keyboard disabled when I uploaded the software :shock: so will have to sort that out ...... hubby uses it - he can't cope with my joystick :lol:

There is a setting to swap the mouse for the keyboard buttons and you may have set it to do that. Should be in the settings somewhere as you said. Have you tried to unplug the joystick as that is also likely to block a mouse?

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    HI Joseph,
    well I decided to be devious and I have unplugged the mouse from the USB hub, and have plugged it into the USB port on the front of the computer as a temporary measure. I wonder if I had overloaded the USB hub (although it has lots of spare slots yet) but I did know that something had been deleted when I was loading the keyboard software in (it said it had to be done, but did 't give any idea what it was I was deleting, but still had the cheek to ask if I was sure ........ of course I wasn't sure ....... I hadn't a clue but couldn't use the keyboard without doing it!!! :roll: :roll:

I hate doing new things ... some people I know claim that I always make a mountain out of little changes in computer use, but in my experience it is never as straight forward as it says it will be .... but maybe that is just me!! :wink:

I got the favourites keys working - so now I can use eight applications just by pressing one button to open each of them :D:D will wait to sort out the settings tomorrow when I am more awake!

thanks for the advice
  • livinglegend
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    HI Joseph,
    well I decided to be devious and I have unplugged the mouse from the USB hub, and have plugged it into the USB port on the front of the computer as a temporary measure. I wonder if I had overloaded the USB hub

I presume that you loaded the software before plugging in the keyboard? That can cause odd problems.

If the hub has it's own power supply then it should be OK to load it up. BUT, both the keyboard and mouse should be plugged directly into the computer's USB ports and not via a hub or they may clash on the single USB line.

There is some info at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258826 with faultfinding and the latest drivers.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    mmmmm that could well be the problem then .... only have two USB ports at the back of the computer ...... one has the printer in, the other the USB hub. the only other one is at the front of the computer and is not used much because it has a tendency to be rather near feet :oops:

yes, I did load the software first ..... there were enough warnings that even dopy me couldn't miss that one :wink::lol:

I also have only the old USB not USB2 so get lots of messages saying things could work faster .... but if a gal aint got the technology what can she do eh? :roll: :lol:
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Hi,
    Excuse me for invading your thread, but I found this useful - voice activated software. I had it suggested to me a while ago and dismissed it as probably being expensive, etc.. but then I realised that my laptop had it integrated and not realised. It was in computer-ease of access-voice recognition. Sticky keys is in there as well if you find it hard to press keys simultaneously (ctrl alt delete springs to mind - who thought of that!?) you can set it to allow you to do it individually. I know this may be of no help to some of you, but worth a mention?!
    Regards, Josie :wink:
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    thanks Josie,
    good to know that newer computers have it included. I have thought about buying voice activated software, but decided that whilst I can type it would be better for me if I kept up my skills. Might have a go in the future though!