MTX side effects.........after 4 years

bluelobster
bluelobster Member Posts: 18
edited 28. Oct 2009, 17:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi,

New to forum. I am currently taking 400mg Sulphasalazine per day, 17.5g MTX per week and Hydroxychloroquinine. i also take folic acid.

I have been taking Hydroxychloroquinine for 2 years now, MTX and Sulphasalazine for 4 years. I am now 30yrs old and had quite severe side effects when i first started taking my MTX (got mouth ulcers, shingles and my hair thinned) most of all i felt very rough the day after taking them. However, these began to settle after a year or so.

Anyways, all of a sudden, the past couple of months i have started to feel really rubbish again the day after my MTX. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

I had my bloods done 2 weeks ago and they usually ring me (as i work at the hospital) if there are any probs but i have heard nothing.

Can anyone advise if they have had the same thing.

Thanks

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Bluelobster

Welcome, although you are not new, new, are you? :) You posted back in May. I am sorry I cannot help you with the metho and side effects but I am sure there will be others calling in that will.

Why not make enquiries regarding your results? Although you work in the hospital, systems break down, don't they as we are all well aware, on here :roll: :lol::lol:

Look after yourself,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Bluelobster

What sort out of symptoms are you getting.I thinkthe blood tests wont show the symptoms listed,you have to tell them yourself when you have a rheumatologist or nurse appointment.They are mostly concerned with liver damage or problems with the blood.
    If it is sickness or nausea you are suffering I am afraid that is a common side effect which most of us seem to experience after taking methotrexate.
    Best wishes Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bluelobster
    bluelobster Member Posts: 18
    Hi Yes i did post in May!! I remember the young girl who was struggling i wonder how she is getting on now.

The only way i can explain the symptoms is that i feel UNUSUALLY tired! So tired, but i know that even if i were not at work and i could sleep, i would try, but i wouldn;t be able to. Does that make sense?

I make a point of saying unusually as when i mention it to my consultant he will always say something like " well tiredness is a symptom of society". Pah! It is so unusual for me, i go to bed at 8pm every night and i am up at 5 and i am generally full of beans. Not like i'm out partying or anything. Highlight of my week is Harry Hill and X factor on a sat night i'm so boring lol.

Thanks for the replies.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi again!

Do you think you may be anaemic as you are so tired or do they test for that when you have your blood tests on a regular basis?

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bionic
    bionic Member Posts: 75
    hi,

New to forum. I am currently taking 400mg Sulphasalazine per day, 17.5g MTX per week and Hydroxychloroquinine. i also take folic acid.

I have been taking Hydroxychloroquinine for 2 years now, MTX and Sulphasalazine for 4 years. I am now 30yrs old and had quite severe side effects when i first started taking my MTX (got mouth ulcers, shingles and my hair thinned) most of all i felt very rough the day after taking them. However, these began to settle after a year or so.

Anyways, all of a sudden, the past couple of months i have started to feel really rubbish again the day after my MTX. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

I had my bloods done 2 weeks ago and they usually ring me (as i work at the hospital) if there are any probs but i have heard nothing.

Can anyone advise if they have had the same thing.

Thanks

Hi, yes am the same as you am completly worn out all the time and dont seem to have a life anymore, the methotrexate thing is the same too, are you injecting it ? I do now and it was better to begin with but not any more, sometimes it's just the day after or worse its for at least 3 days, so I really feel for you. It gets you down doesn't it? Take care X
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi Bluelobster
    i have been on metho for about 4 months and i get simular side effects, thinning hair, sickness and i also get that not right feeling the day after the metho. my rhemy lowed my dose to 15mg and upped my folic acid i also now split my dose so take 7.5mg sun night and 7.5mg mon night. all off this has helped the side effects but i do still feel "not with it" on a monday.
    and the tired but cant sleep one drives me nuts :x
    i dont know why you would start to get effects after all this time has your dose been upped lately?
    maybe you could change to injections that helps some people.
    hope you get it under control soon
    take care
    page