Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

changing from tablets to injection

ritwrenritwren Posts: 928
edited 31. Oct 2009, 15:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw the Rheumy nurse specialist for the first time yesterday and she was very good. I was worried that she might not be understanding, I never doubted that she would be knowledgable. Anyhow she says my disease is still quite active and wants to change me from tablets (methotrexate) to injections. I will start next week but have to have 2 sessions where they watch me do it before I do them at home on my own. Has anyone else had this happen.
Also they want to increase the dose, I'm currently on 15microgrammes and they want to put me up to 20. Is this common too?
I'm quite disappointed really as although I'm not feeling great I'd thought I was sorted and could perhaps go back to work soon but she says it would'nt be a good idea at the moment. What do you guys think.
rita

Comments

  • jaspercatjaspercat Posts: 1,238
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Rita, I had someone from my supplier to come to my home to talk me through doing my MXT injections, I was supposed to watch but ended up doing them myself from day one, there isn't a problem with doing them it is easy.

    As to the increase in dose it is quite normal, maybe they think it is not working well enough, I get along fairly well on 20mg, so there is nothing to worry about love Jaspercatxx
  • ritwrenritwren Posts: 928
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thanks Jasper, it's good to know that it's the way it goes sometimes and it's not just me.
    rita
  • WonkylegsWonkylegs Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    HI,
    like Jaspercat says, it is not unusual to be on injections - there are lots of us on here who get on better with them.

    I went to the hospital for two training sessions before I was let loose onto doing them myself. Now I go to see my Practice Nurse at the GP surgery and she does it for me.

    I found that the injections work much better for me, and you might find that when the MTX gets properly into your system that they will eventually lower the dose.

    good luck!
  • bionicbionic Posts: 75
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    HI,
    like Jaspercat says, it is not unusual to be on injections - there are lots of us on here who get on better with them.

    I went to the hospital for two training sessions before I was let loose onto doing them myself. Now I go to see my Practice Nurse at the GP surgery and she does it for me.

    I found that the injections work much better for me, and you might find that when the MTX gets properly into your system that they will eventually lower the dose.

    good luck!

    Hi I changed from tablets to injections about three months ago, they are fine to do I did feel better for a while with the sicky feeling subsiding but it's back again now and sooooo tired all the time !!! I have 25mg a week. Take care and I hope you get sorted soon,

    Rosie x
  • tkachevtkachev Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Ritwen
    They only do injections 15mg or 20mg so they prob felt 15 wasnt doing enough for you.The injections lesson the nausea side effects although this didnt happen to me so went back on tablets
    Best wishes Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

    Define yourself........

    Harvey Fierstein
  • WonkylegsWonkylegs Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    tkachev wrote:
    Hi Ritwen
    They only do injections 15mg or 20mg so they prob felt 15 wasnt doing enough for you.The injections lesson the nausea side effects although this didnt happen to me so went back on tablets
    Best wishes Elizabeth

    just to add to the above
    they can do injections at 17.5mg - I had them for a while,
    and also 22.5mg.

    I think it depends on the pharmacy & the rheumatology team
  • bevmanbevman Posts: 107
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    ritwren wrote:
    I saw the Rheumy nurse specialist for the first time yesterday and she was very good. I was worried that she might not be understanding, I never doubted that she would be knowledgable. Anyhow she says my disease is still quite active and wants to change me from tablets (methotrexate) to injections. I will start next week but have to have 2 sessions where they watch me do it before I do them at home on my own. Has anyone else had this happen.
    Also they want to increase the dose, I'm currently on 15microgrammes and they want to put me up to 20. Is this common too?
    I'm quite disappointed really as although I'm not feeling great I'd thought I was sorted and could perhaps go back to work soon but she says it would'nt be a good idea at the moment. What do you guys think.
    rita
    Hi ritwren i have just been put on MTX injections i went and had them at the hospital for about three weeks then they said i could do them at home because it was taking so long to get there then i would have to wait.I had health care at home come and show me but i already inject with embrel so i was ok a delivery of my MTX came and it had all kinds of things in glovs spill, kit ,aprons, it is not to bad injecting and you will soon get use to it take care Bevman
  • ritwrenritwren Posts: 928
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks very much for your reassurance and support everyone. I go on thursday for the first one and hopefully all will improve.
    big gentle hugs to you all.
    rita
Sign In or Register to comment.