Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Post hip surgery leg length discrepancy

penfactorpenfactor Posts: 416
Hello there!
I had my right hip replaced 2 weeks ago & the surgeon told me he had to lengthen my operated leg to get the ligaments to fit. There is quite a difference in them now so it is making my recovery really difficult. The surgeon said to wait the three months without getting a shoe lift & the physio is aware of this although she wanted to refer me for one.
I am really scared my legs will be permanently lop-sided and wondered if you have any advice for me on this?
Thank you for your attention
Pennie

Comments

• helpline_teamhelpline_team Posts: 1,868
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Pennie

Some people do have a difference in their leg length after hip replacement but it is only 2 weeks since you had your operation so it is probably too early to say how much you will be affected in the long term.
    I can understand your worries but your physiotherapist will be your best source of help and support during this time - follow her advice.

Best wishes

Val
  • penfactorpenfactor Posts: 416
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Val
    Thank you so much for your speedy reply. You guys really are amazing, you know ,I am so glad I found this charity and will donate more as thanks.
    The physio team were really lovely & helpful in the hospital & I will be attending a group for people with replacements at the end of the month. I will, on your advice take all their advice - I have been continuing the exercises & the physio suggested I keep one trainer on good foot & the longer one without to make them easier.
    Something I wish the consultant had done was to explain this risk in more detail at the appointments before the op instead of just cursorily mentioning them before I signed the consent form on day of the op.
    Thank you once again
    Pennie