Expensive Christmas looming

Options
gickygawky
gickygawky Member Posts: 478
edited 2. Nov 2009, 18:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all,

Do any of you have any handy ideas on how to sort out buying Christmas presents for 20 people this year on a tight budget???

I am sure I am not alone in wondering how I can sort out nice gifts without breaking the bank.

I have thought about trying to make things for people but I am not very handy and my husband says I am not to continue my tradition of giving everyone socks because people have enough now (although I still think a pair of nice socks is always a good idea 8) )

I suggested to hubby that maybe we could organise just buying all the children gifts but not the adults but there are die hard Christmas fanatics in his family and I don't think it would go down to well.

Growing up in a family of 3 makes me think 20 is a huge amount of people to buy for, but maybe I am just being selfish....

What do you all do at this time of year????

A x

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

How about hankies?, Ties, book tokens, token for M&S, bottle of wine,

Just give what you can afford, people should be gratefull that you are on a tight buget and any gift you give is meant with a good heart.

Personally, I would go for book tokens, then they can put the rest towards what it costs.

If you give to the children, then they should understand.

love trisher xxx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi

Do what my sister and husband are doing. They are spending the money on themselves, going on a cruise which means they will be out of the country for Christmas and New Year. They have told everyone that they don't want any presents or cards, and they won't be giving any either.

I agree it is a problem though. I have to buy for 10 children, and when you count their birthdays during the year as well, it adds up to quite a lot of money.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Were giving £40 each to the kids(thats £120)a small presssy for my parents & a bigger pressy for the inlaws,as they really help us out.
    I reallly cant go around the shops looking for pressies.
    Its not much but all we can afford.
    But there'll be food in the fridge & cupboards will be full.
    & the love will replace the lack of money.
    debs
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    A few years ago one Christmas I voiced the idea of not getting anything for the adults only the kids all thought it a good idea, it’s so much better now, god I use to hate the constant treadmill of crimbo shopping it’s so commercial these day’s it’s a real rip off, BA HUMBUG I say. :)
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, these might not go down well but why not cut down your present list, tell people that you are on a budget in this day and age, I did it a couple of years ago everyone understood my problems, give it a try love Jaspercatxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    We give to the relatives children. Some receive more than others, which is still very modestly priced, depending whether there is any feedback from them ie a thank you letter ....... phonecall, news of them, throughout the year......

We give pressies to the kiddies up to the age of 21. Then it stops. If the parents then wish to continue to give present to us, that is up to them, but this ruling was made years ago and we stick by it. One SIL and hubby have no children so we like to give them a present each.

We give our own children and other halves, money and a couple of little surprise presents worth very little but useful.

Our one and only grand child will be given fairly substantial pressies, but probably nothing as much as some spend, really to help the parents, ie clothes for her and money. She is only 14 months old.

We should do what we feel, not what is expected of us, by others and keep to what has been decided. So many of the presents given and received are utterly useless.

I don't find christmas present buying arduous.

Happy crimbo shopping!!!!

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    I say just buy for the children, after all, christmas is all about the children i think. I do buy for adults but due to family fall outs i only have hubby,parents,2 brothers,aunt & uncle, 1 cousin and my step son to buy for. My step son is the youngest at 16. We don't even spend a lot on him as i believe the more they get, the more they expect.

When i was growing up with my brothers we never had a lot spent on us. It has made us learn that we can't have everything we want. If we wanted an expensive present (as kids do) we were given money towards it but we had to save up our pocket money to get the rest.....teaches you to save.

I know i keep mentioning it, but have you tried ebay? You can get some real bargains on there. My hubby likes James Bond, depending on where you look, the complete set of DVDs can cost from £100 - £200! I bought him all of them (as singles to make the set up) for around £30! They are all 2nd hand but all in perfect working order. (This wasn't a christmas present i might add, just because i love him)

Carol XXX
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    oh dear, this is always such an expectant time of year isn't it....
    right, like a lot of others we only buy for the kids too, and as i have 4 children of my own, Christmas is expensive enough in here.
    firstly, are you with all these people on xmas day? if you are, why not buy for the house....ie, a tin of biccies and a tin of roses and maybe a plant - what are those red xmas ones? that way everyone can dip in to the goodies, then buy token gifts for the children. or how about a party game for everyone to enjoy? or if you are all round one persons house, how about offering to buy the meat?
    they might be complete rubbish ideas, but one thing is for sure, i dont think you need to explain your situation if they are good family or friends then they WILL understand.
    hope this helps, take care. Sally xx :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi A
    we just buy for the kids, which worked out ok till my Dad died and Mum could have had no prezzies so we changed it back a bit!
    then when my Mum died we went back to kids only.
    Have you looked on the Hawkins Bazaar website? Silly prezzies for grownups and some fairly cheap.
    Hope it was ok for me to name it? :oops:
    Toni x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    I'm with Elna, we buy gifts for the kids until their 18th and then 21st birthday. Then it's joint presents for close adults.

Hope we all have a good time anyway. :lol:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi twenty is a lot but if u look around i am sure u will find something nice u can always get them biscuits for the adults would make a change from socks but it is the thought that counts not how expencive the gift i hope u find something nice for them all . we stopped birthday presents for the adults as it was so expencive
    val