virus

Options
valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 4. Nov 2009, 22:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
hi it was lap top this time not me lol had to send it in to get it going again think it came from face book so watch out. make sure your anti virus up to date and got all its updates done . will look see what i have missed mind u missed all u loads
val

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Val

I'm glad it was the computer, and not you. Some of these viruses can be a bit nasty

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Val :)

Glad to have you back. These laptops do misbehave when we least expect it, hope it all ok now. I rarely venture out much on mine, wouldn't know facebook if it bit me much to the annoyance of my nieces! Mine got all the anti virus bits, but had to get them to do it at the shop when I got the laptop new in Sept :oops:
    Hope you recovered from your cold now. take care. See you in the cafe.
    Chris :wink:
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi Val,nice to have you back.
    Facebook has been playing up quite a bit lately.
    Ive missed me partner in crime :wink:
    luv debs
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi debs yes it got through the anti virus so**ing thing got right into hard drive even second partition where u restore it from so had to get a pal to sort it for me. any way what fun we having today
    val
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    A warning to people to update their virus checkers every day and make sure that real time checking is always turned on.

There are several good freebie ones, so no excuse for no-one having one.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 5. Nov 2009, 08:00
    Options
    ,?
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Cookies are not programs or viruses, they are just a line of text in a file and are only accessed when your browser is running. They would not affect startup at all.

This site, for instance, uses 10 cookies during a browsing session and if they are deleted, then you are logged off and have to re-login. This is because the server no longer recognises your computer due to no cookies.
    More at: http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol3/beginner_no5.htm

Many e-commerce sites use cookies to track additions or deletions to your shopping cart. Sites can use session cookies that are valid only for the duration of that particular visit, or design them so that the user can return to the site days later and complete their transaction.

What may have caused the problem was that some programs, not cookies, are set to access the internet during startup to check for updates. Just one has to be corrupted and everything stops.

To give you an idea of the complexity of startup, I currently have an absolute minimum of 67 programs and processes due to run at startup. An additional 25 are blocked. All active ones are needed or my computer will not startup.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif