Age is a number

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 5. Nov 2009, 05:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

Why do people in the media always seem so obsessed with age??

My best friend is a lady of nearly 86, over 20 years older than me. She is such fun to be with, and has a wicked sense of humour. I also know that I can talk to her about anything, and it will never go further. She is very broad-minded and modern in her views. She is nothing like the usual perception of an elderly lady.

The artist, Sam Taylor-Wood has announced her engagement to the star of her new film, Aaron Johnson. She is 42 and he is 19. Sam has survived two brushes with cancer, so she knows life is short. She says she doesn't give a damn what people think. Good for her, I say !!

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi joan
    i agree with you to some degree but if my son when he is 19 tells me he is going to marry a 42 yr old woman i am sure i wouldnt be very happy and would think it to be abit odd.
    when my son is 19 i will be 39 so she would be older than me :shock:
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Hi joan im 39 and married to a lovely hubby aged 51 and my daughter is nearly sixteen and son four so there are great big gaps but age dont matter one jot as long as u are happy thats all that matters. from joanne
    Joanne
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Joanne

There was a big age difference between my in-laws, and their parents tried to stop the relationship in every way they could. Eventually, they eloped and were married without any members of the family being present. They were the happiest married couple I have ever met, and my husband was born when his mother was 45, and his father was 30.

Joan
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi

Someone said to me today that we people with arthritis are like recycled teenagers on drugs. I thought it was an amusing description, and we should try to stay young at heart, whatever our age.

Joan
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 5. Nov 2009, 08:07
    Options
    .?
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Hey arm candy why the hell not!, I tried it once I thought right you only live once so out with the old and in with the knew so I got divorced Jetted off to Thailand and married a real spring chicken a fast looking little foxy number boy did I think I was a lucky so and so, the wheel well and truly came off when they, him or is it she or even maybe him/she anyway they turned out to be a flippin lady boy I didn't have a clue what one was until I married one,how the world has changed since I was a nipper!.

Hi Mell

That'll teach you :!: :!: :shock: Not quite sure what though :!: Are you still arm candy, or just a fruit and nut case :?:

Joan
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    my body is aged 86
    mind about 26
    real age in between.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    my body is aged 86
    mind about 26
    real age in between.

Well done, oneday :!: I know some people aged 26, but with minds like 86, so I think you have got it the right way round.

Joan
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    As one who's had numbers block all her life, they mean little to me anyway..........quite a good thing when it comes to ages!

Annie

PS I think they call it something else now, but I can't think what it is.
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Joan I just thought I would post this for a bit of fun, I'm still married to the war office as I refer to the better half, can't see me running away very far not with these knees anyway. :? :lol:
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    Hi all, my hubby is 11yrs older than me and he is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Age is just a number.

Carol X
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    As one who's had numbers block all her life, they mean little to me anyway..........quite a good thing when it comes to ages!

Annie

Hi Annie

Are you feeling better? I hope so.

I always had a number block too, but I had to teach maths every day for over 30 years :!: :!: No wonder British education is in such a state :!: :roll:

Joan
  • annie_mial
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    annie_mial wrote:

Annie

Hi Annie

Are you feeling better? I hope so.

I always had a number block too, but I had to teach maths every day for over 30 years :!: :!: No wonder British education is in such a state :!: :roll:

Joan

Joan, I'm not even going to tell you how I got 96% in my maths O level!
    I am feeling better, thank you, not quite right yet but getting there. These bugs/colds/viruses chugging round just now are killers!

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Annie

96% at 0 level :!: :!: :shock: I am very impressed :!: :!: I failed mine with flying colours, but in 1965, when I qualified, it wasn't required if you had a science subject. I got through with biology, which wasn't much use when I had to start teaching maths. However, I taught primary-age children, so I could just about cope.

Joan
  • annie_mial
    Options
    I was destined - by others - to teach, Joan, but from square one I knew it wasn't for me. To their horror I opted out and did what was then known as 'commercial studies' and eventually qualified as a librarian which was what I wanted. It was the start of a long and varied journey down several careers!

Annie
  • mellman01
    edited 5. Nov 2009, 08:06
    Options
    .?