MXT and chickenpox

Options
page35
page35 Member Posts: 1,081
Hi
i work in a playgroup and although no one has chickenpox yet every year around xmas the kids seem to start to get it, then it stops around march.
as i have RA and take mxt i was wondering if any kids have it should i not go to work? i read somewhere that if you get chickenpox/shingles while on mxt you would be very ill.

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I too take MTX, and used to work in schools ... so know what you mean!

I think that if it is thought that we have been in close contact with someone with chickenpox then it is suggested that we have a blood test to check whether we have immunity, or whether they need to treat us.

I am not certain of this as it is a long while since I asked, but that is what I can remember.

hope they all keep healthy and you do too!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Page

all 3 of my kids had chicken pox 2 years ago whilst i was on methotrexate.i was fine but i too was worried at the time.as i had had chicken pox as a child they werent too concerned.my sons carer gets recurring shingles so i normally let her off work as i am a little bit concerned as feel vulnerable.i think you should be careful with some of the childrens vaccinations.you can phone the local gp or nurse and they will reassure you.i did this with a polio vaccination for my daughter to check if it was a live vaccination or not.
    take care elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Hi
    i work in a playgroup and although no one has chickenpox yet every year around xmas the kids seem to start to get it, then it stops around march.
    as i have RA and take mxt i was wondering if any kids have it should i not go to work? i read somewhere that if you get chickenpox/shingles while on mxt you would be very ill.

Hi

In addition to all the good advice above it may be a good idea to ring your rheumatology nurse and ask what they recommend.

Best wishes

Simona
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Thank you for yor replies Wonky, TK and Simona
    am seeing rheumy in few weeks will ask her too.
    also playgroup down the road has had an out break of Hand, Foot and Mouth so will ask about that too.
    didnt think of all these things before taking MTX. :roll:
    Thanx again
    page