Crutches or Walking Stick

Options
sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
Hi

I've been using a walking stick for the past year. I have OA in both knees (currently on waiting list for TKR) I also have OA in hands (not as bad as knees) and my right shoulder. Lately I've found using the walking stick makes the pain in my shoulder worse.

Would i be better off using elbow crutches? I think they would be more useful when I'm out and about giving me more stability.

I would welcome your professional advice.

Sharmaine

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine

The best professional to answer your query would be a physiotherapist. This way you can discuss with her all the details of what you are experiencing. They are also the right people to supply whatever type of walking aid you need.

Best wishes

Simona
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for this information. I'll ask my GP to refer me to the physio.
    I was going to buy some crutches!

Sharmaine
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I found walking sticks hurt my shoulder.I got crutches after my THR in July and found them much more comfortable and supportive as you are not leaning forward as much.They also help with aches in the knees and feet.However it is probably wise to go the Physio-you can ask your consultant or your G.P for a referral and I didnt wait long for my appointment-less than a week_ and they will be free.
    P.S I left my walking sticks in hospital after my operation.They made me feel like an old woman!

Take care
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

What you say makes sense to me as this is the way I've been thinking. I'm finding that I have new aches with my walking stick especially in my feet/ankle.

I will certainly discuss this with my GP.

Maybe I need a wheelchair????!!!!! :lol::lol:

Sharmaine