virtual arthur!

Options
suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 6. Nov 2009, 09:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
if it was possible to some how make some kind of virtual reality machine that would enable others to feel arthritis and maybe even the side effects of meds, do you think it would help people understand how we feel or would you not want to try it on your friends / family?!
i just feel that sometimes it would be good for non sufferers to feel what we do, so they can understand we aren't a bunch of moaners!!! does that make sense?
discuss...... lol!
sue

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sue

That is interesting because I've just seen the consultant this morning, and he was talking about pain. He said that doctors often get almost immune from the understanding of pain, because they hear the word used so often. He thought all medical professionals should really be made to experience some pain, and then they would be more sympathetic.

What a nice man :!: How lucky am I :!: And he's good looking too :!: :lol:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • suzster
    Options
    a dr that is good looking and down to earth, now that makes a nice change, but yes i agrea, if people actually knew, for real how we felt i'm sure they would be more understanding.
    sue
  • suzster
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    What an ideal invention, all the sat at the DWP dould have one to sort out the scroungers from the genuine claimants :D

see, i knew it would be useful!
    then people would not get turned down for dla etc because the decision makers would know how hard life is with arthur, perfect!
    all we need now is someone to make it!
    sue
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone remember Jane Fonda in Barbarella :?: :?: ( I expect the men on the forum can remember it!) She was put in an Excessive machine, which delivered excessive pleasure, but she blew it up :!: :shock:

We could have an Excessive Pain machine, which all doctors should be made to enter as part of their training, and also anyone who says " It's only arthritis". Good idea, don't you agree :?: :?:

Joan :lol:
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    i am sure i saw a program where a bloke was put into this outfit that reduced his mobility, it was to help him understand how differcult things were for his dad who had arther.
    it didnt cause him any pain though which was a shame.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have often thought it would be nice to have a pain meter so people knew you werent exagerrating.Then when men say they feel ill and it shows a 1 we can shrug and show them our 8 or 9.

There was a programme where youngsters had to wear a padded suit to restrict their mobility.They seemed to appreciate the difficulties older people experience,not being able to pick things up or bend down.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Why not just use a baseball bat, I'm sure it would gaive a similar type of pain if used right. :shock:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi
    I can certainly see the advantage!! But they would have to beleive the pain was FOREVER - that's the awful part isn't it? Not just temporary. But really i wouldn't want them to suffer not anyone.
    Mellman :shock: a BASEBALL bat?! :wink:
    Love
    Toni xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Why not just use a baseball bat, I'm sure it would gaive a similar type of pain if used right. :shock:

That's a bit extreme, isn't it :?: :?:

Joan