3 year old duaghter about to begin MTX

Options
konnie
konnie Member Posts: 8
Hi, My daughter (who is 3 next week) was diagnosed about 6 months ago with oligoarthritis. (Now upgraded to extended oligoarthriotis) It started in her knees and then spread to her ankle,knuckle and wrist. Steriod injections havent worked so they have prescribed methotrexate. Im really worried about giving it to her as she wont be able to verbalise as well as an older child what side effects she might be having. Has anyone got any tips about mixing it with anything to disguise the taste or what time of day to give it?

She is pretty immobile at the moment so im desperate for this to work but it's all so new to me i dont know what to expect. I want someone to tell me where she;s going to be in 6 months /a years time but it's all so unpredictable that noone can tell me!

Just feeling a bit uninformed and clueless about everything as,apart from a handful of appointments with the consultant, we've had no contact with anyone else who can give us some insight.

Thanks

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Sorry your little one is having to go through this, must be hard for you too. You could always ring and talk to the helpline team, it might be easier.

Love
    Vonski x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Konnie
    so sorry to hear about your daughter.
    i take mtx and i take it late afternoon if poss. always with my dinner. i do get side effects from it, but the benifits are great :D i found it very hard to get up in morn, felt always tired every thing hurt and ached the mtx has helped so much. i hope it does for your daughter to.
    could you give her the mtx with some sugar?
    have you posted on the young persons thread? there are others that pop in now and then that have young children with arthur.
    my very best wishes for you and your little girl
    page
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,494
    Options
    konnie wrote:
    Hi, My daughter (who is 3 next week) was diagnosed about 6 months ago with oligoarthritis. (Now upgraded to extended oligoarthriotis) It started in her knees and then spread to her ankle,knuckle and wrist. Steriod injections havent worked so they have prescribed methotrexate. Im really worried about giving it to her as she wont be able to verbalise as well as an older child what side effects she might be having. Has anyone got any tips about mixing it with anything to disguise the taste or what time of day to give it?

She is pretty immobile at the moment so im desperate for this to work but it's all so new to me i dont know what to expect. I want someone to tell me where she;s going to be in 6 months /a years time but it's all so unpredictable that noone can tell me!

Just feeling a bit uninformed and clueless about everything as,apart from a handful of appointments with the consultant, we've had no contact with anyone else who can give us some insight.

Thanks

Morning Konnie
    I'm sure it is a very worrying time for you watching your little girl in pain. As far I as know I believe they prefer to give small children methotrexate by injection. This way it also cause less side effects as it doesn't then have to go through the stomach. I think the best thing you can do right now is not to worry. Is your little girl being seen by a paediatric rheumatologist? It is perfectly reasonable to call them to ask how it will be administered as this way you can try and prepare her and yourself for the inject which can also be traumatic for little ones.

Have you had any information from us. We have a very good book called Kids with arthritis. If you would like me to send you a copy please either call, private message or email us your full name and postal address.

If it would help just have a chat about things in general please feel free to give us a call Konnie.

Best wishes

Simona
  • steph120786
    steph120786 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    konnie wrote:

Thanks

Hi

Sorry to hear about your daughter mine has just turned 3 and was diagnosed at 15 months we are just in the process of moving to mtx injections, from oral, i used to dilute tablets in the tinest bit of pure ribena and give it just before bed to try and minimise side effects, worth a try... Know what you mean about the age and not being able to express thereselves its very difficult to judge and there doent to be much alternatives when the choice is given for mtx and when seeing them in that much pain all you want to do is take it away.. hope this helps x good luck