Computer problem

Options
joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
edited 6. Nov 2009, 12:41 in Community Chit-chat archive
I would like to know if anyone has had problems shutting their computer down

We had server problems a week ago and that seems to have been put right, so they say.

This site is about the only one I go on most of the time and just wondered.

Joy

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You want to have a chat with livingledgend he seem to think he knows everthing there is to know about PC's. :roll:
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    One of the best ways to keep your PC free from worms and infections is to use the following free site. It's easy to download, and if you run it regularly you'll never have a problem.

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=button
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Joy
    Mmmmm i HATE technology.
    Can't really help as I rely on my bro or nephew to sort out my probs with the PC but soiunds a bit of a coincinende if the server was playing up recently.
    This'll make you laugh - couldn't get my printer to print the other day, it had it's ;ilght on etc and prnted the night before. Called my bro who found an unplugged cable...... :oops: Oh the shame :oops:
    Love
    Toni xx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    More on Advanced SystemCare at http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html

Now for shutdown problems.
    Look on the bar at the bottom of the screen for any programs left running which will slow shutdown. But sometimes computers just will not shutdown at all. Don't be tempted to just cut the power off at the plug. Wait five minutes just in case. Press and hold the power button in for about 10 seconds and this will force a shutdown.

Computers do take a long time to shut down if you have updates running in the background. So don't panic if it seems to take a long time.

A quick alternative is to use Hibernate.

For Hibernate go to Start, (You know that makes sense).

Click the mouse on 'Turn off computer' at the bottom.

Press and hold the Shift Key and Standby in the little window in the centre of the screen will change to Hibernate.

Keep holding the Shift Key and click on Hibernate, then let go and the computer will quickly shut down. Don't cut off the power until it has finished. Be patient. Watch the green Disk Drive light and don't cut power until after it goes out.

Restart as normal.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Joy
    Mmmmm i HATE technology.
    Can't really help as I rely on my bro or nephew to sort out my probs with the PC but soiunds a bit of a coincinende if the server was playing up recently.
    This'll make you laugh - couldn't get my printer to print the other day, it had it's ;ilght on etc and prnted the night before. Called my bro who found an unplugged cable...... :oops: Oh the shame :oops:
    Love
    Toni xx
    After working years with computers, even since they materialised, you would think I knew everything,but unfortunately with this one, don't know. It was the OH who asked me to ask the question because, he says, this is the only site we seem to log on to. Cheek.
    Hi wells. I'm always chirpy. You did mean me didn't you or was it Rehab. Don't believe it.

joy