Just had a row

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 7. Nov 2009, 14:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all

I've just had a row in a restaurant, and made a bit of a scene.

Ordered steak and chips, one of the most expensive things on the menu ( I know, very sophisticated choice!) Asked for steak medium done.

Chips were burned and soggy,and looked as though they were cooked some time in 1998.

Steak was really a reconstituted strip of leather pretending to be meat, and so tough, my teeth bounced off it.

Silly waitress asked "Everything alright?" when even a two year old could see it wasn't.

When I told her the answer she didn't want to hear, she went to get the manager, who proceeded to tell me that I was totally mistaken, and everything was freshly cooked and lovely.

I can't stand restaurant managers who are so much in denial that they tell you anything, when they know damn well that their food is absolute c**p. He gave me such a look of superiority that I snapped, and told him where he could stick his rotten steak and chips. I also said that I wasn't surprised the place was so bad with him in charge. He didn't look sorry when I said I wouldn't be coming back ever, even if I was starving.

You'll never invite me out for a meal now, will you :?: :?:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joan

Well done, I like it when people stand up for themselves something I can't do. My hubby doesn't like it when I order steak as I like it well done but never get it so just leave it. Worst one for us was when we were out with our son who ordered steak when it arrived more than 1/2 of it was fat, it was horrible and my son eats a bit of fat but not that. We did complain and got a bit knocked off, restaurant had always been good but closed a few weeks later.

Love
    Vonski x
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    OH Joan what a shame you had your meal out spoiled.

I know what you mean about when they come to ask if all ok and then look none-plussed when you answer no! We did that once with a roast chicken meal somewhere, when it came it was swimming in the most tasteless, watery and extremely fatty gravy, which totally ruined it. They just didn't know what to say to us and we left without doing what we should have done and asked to see the manager.

Another time at a different place, we had the wrong meals delivered to us TWICE :shock: :shock: and then when the correct meal did arrive it was cold and unimpressive. The manager came to talk to us, and we were most upset because it was our wedding anniversary and it was spoiled. We left with a letter entitling us to a free meal at another date, and a free bottle of champagne!

it pays to complain sometimes!!
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Vonski

It wasn't so much the food ( although that was bad enough) but the condescending attitude of the jumped- up manager. I've still got smoke coming out of my ears 3 hours later.

Hi Wonky

That's even worse when it is a special occasion. Why do they bother asking if everything is alright, when they don't really care one way or the other??

Joan
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi rehab

Thanks for that. I am feeling CROSS and ANGRY and MAD

Do you think you dare cook for me??

Joan
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Not sure Joan, do you leave a tip?

I'm usually very generous.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    joan i would but would look for some where nice to go with real people who care about the food they serve up. hope they did not charge u . bet u ended up with fish and chips to fill u up
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    valval wrote:
    joan i would but would look for some where nice to go with real people who care about the food they serve up. hope they did not charge u . bet u ended up with fish and chips to fill u up

Hi Val

You bet they didn't charge me :!: :!: I don't snap very often, but when I do, everyone in a five-mile radius knows about it :!: :!: :shock: :shock:

Joan
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Yeah good on you it’s good to vent ones spleen from time 2 time, it never cease to amaze me how bad service is now these day’s, mind you Joan I can sadly top you, back in the mid 1980’s me and the war office had a 2 week driving holiday in what was Yugoslavia we ended up in Dubrovnik, so out we pop for a meal ordered fish, well we should have known there was a problem with the place it was empty, so out comes the raw fish!, so politely we sent it back out it comes again in a state I could only describe as napalmed so we call gasping 4 a cuppa over and he get’s all hissy so I get all hissy, then he starts shouting so do I, we then got up to leave and he phones the rozzers, now the image went through my head of me spending a few weeks in a cell with an 18 stone Ivan who, well shall we say might want to show me how fun it is to be gay so I paid up and legged it, then to top it off we go to a nice little outside café and we are just about to calm down and I get targeted by the only nutter in the town, ye goods have you ever tried to hold a conversation with a mad man who speaks very odd English, trust me you don’t want to go there, anyway shortly after our hol’s the whole place erupted in civil war, to this day I wonder if it was because dear old Slobodan had a really bad meal and an argument followed by a tirade aimed at him from a certain mad man one fateful evening not long after we had flown home?.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    When ordering a steak, most if not all squaddies are wont to say when asked how they want it.."Take off the horns, wipe its bum and bung it on a plate love"

On one occassion I did hear a woman in a steak house (possibly Joan Lawson) who had obviously rececieved one of the above say, in a loud voice, " Bloody hell with a bit of medical aid this thing would have survived, take it back to the kitchen and kill it again please

Yes, but I didn't say please :!: :!:

Joan
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Yeah good on you it’s good to vent ones spleen from time 2 time, it never cease to amaze me how bad service is now these day’s, mind you Joan I can sadly top you, back in the mid 1980’s me and the war office had a 2 week driving holiday in what was Yugoslavia we ended up in Dubrovnik, so out we pop for a meal ordered fish, well we should have known there was a problem with the place it was empty, so out comes the raw fish!, so politely we sent it back out it comes again in a state I could only describe as napalmed so we call gasping 4 a cuppa over and he get’s all hissy so I get all hissy, then he starts shouting so do I, we then got up to leave and he phones the rozzers, now the image went through my head of me spending a few weeks in a cell with an 18 stone Ivan who, well shall we say might want to show me how fun it is to be gay so I paid up and legged it, then to top it off we go to a nice little outside café and we are just about to calm down and I get targeted by the only nutter in the town, ye goods have you ever tried to hold a conversation with a mad man who speaks very odd English, trust me you don’t want to go there, anyway shortly after our hol’s the whole place erupted in civil war, to this day I wonder if it was because dear old Slobodan had a really bad meal and an argument followed by a tirade aimed at him from a certain mad man one fateful evening not long after we had flown home?.

I was quite capable of starting a civil war last night, I can tell you :!:

Joan :lol:
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,938
    Options
    Hi Joan.
    I thought you would'nt have the nerve to conplain about anything.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hi Joan.
    I thought you would'nt have the nerve to conplain about anything.
    joan xx

What? Me not have the nerve?? If I get a bee in my bonnet, there's no stopping me :!: :!: :lol::lol:

Joan
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    Well done Joan. More ppl need to do this. It was normal in California and the staff always did everything they could to help. If the Brits learnt to do this more often then we might get better service.
    Well done.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    c4thyg wrote:
    Well done Joan. More ppl need to do this. It was normal in California and the staff always did everything they could to help. If the Brits learnt to do this more often then we might get better service.
    Well done.

Thank you for that. I will keep up the good work