Cigarettes etc

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 10. Nov 2009, 12:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
Saw a tv discussion programme the other day where the topic was the proposal for removing all cigarettes etc from displays in shops and having them hidden under the counter.

Apparently if they are not on view people will not be tempted into buying them.

OMG! Here we go again. Does this government think that we are brainless morons! So, are we all seduced into buying things just because we see them? How come there are actually, yes really!, some sight-impaired smokers? They've not been seduced by rows of ciggies and vibrant advertising posters have they?

I smoked at 15, partly out of curiosity and partly because grown-ups smoked and I wanted to be seen as an adult too! Unfortunately I then smoked on and off for a few years, and I did enjoy it at the time :) I gave up the wicked weed when I was in a hospital bed next to a lady who was having a real struggle breathing after her op - all because she was a heavy smoker. I never smoked again after seeing her :shock:

I digress; my point is, we will all know they are 'hidden' under the counter for goodness sake! So if we want to buy - we'll just ask for them. Simples.

Oh, and I also think that by 'hiding' them they are going to be seen as a 'forbidden fruit' - and theres always plenty of people willing to try that isn't there :?

Jackie

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jackie

How you doing? Was this the programme where the man said he'd grown up in the 50's when everybody smoked and he'd seen all the displays and had never felt the urge to smoke himself? It's just another stupid idea from GB and co. Let's face it anything that is hidden or banned is easy to get if you know the right people.

Love
    Vonski x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    children who buy them off people who fetch them back off hols do not care which brand it is and do not look at the displays as they r kept out of sight so when some one is craving them and go in shop will they care if they r gotten from under the counter so long as they get them. nanny state we might not be the cleverest of people but even so we can make decisions for our selves.
    i was glad when they stopped smoking in pubs as it causes me probs. so i am very glad i can go for a meal or drink with no probs.
    val
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi, Yes, vonski, I think that was the programme. I think 'hiding' them away will only make people more curious - and sometimes when you know you shouldn't be having something thats seen as naughty you want it all the more! (chocolate in my case lol).

valval, I don't want to get into a debate on here on the rights and wrongs of smoking/no smoking...... its just to me the idea of removing them from display seems ludicrous and like I've said it could well become "a forbidden fruit" making it so much more attractive :!:

Jackie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jackie,

Its nice to see you again :D

As someone 100% adicted they could put them any where at all and I would still find them and buy them :wink: Take care Cris x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Jackie

As an ex smoker I still crave the odd cig but seeing them behind the counter doesn't make me buy them. I'm with you on the choc, no hiding place would be good enough to keep me away :lol:

Love
    Vonski x
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    The nanny state in action. People are not grownup enough to decide.

Do what you are ordered to do! We know what is good for you! You are not to be trusted to think freely and make decisions!

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    I never, ever have smoked, not even one puff! It has never interested me and i don't see the point in it. I have never been tempted, even with all the displays and when there was tv advertising!

Poeple smoking doesn't bother me as i've grown up with it in my family with my Dad, both my brothers and my hubby. It's taking people's choices away again.

Chocolate is largely on display but it has made me overweight, probably caused the OA in my back (by carrying the weight) it could cause diabeties etc so what's the difference?

I believe that 'upstairs' knows what day you're going to join them. When it's your time, it's your time. And let's face it, it isn't even like smoking is the worst 'danger' we face in our lives.

Carol
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I have never smoked i think of it has burning money.
    my parents died from cancer.and a uncle who had never smoked died from cancer because everyone around him in work smoked.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • jackie1955
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Jackie, Its nice to see you again :D Cris x

Thanks Cris :)

Well folks, my point about all this was not about the rights/wrongs of smoking, or anything else for that matter, but about the powers that be thinking they know whats best for us (again :roll: ).

Out of sight, out of mind.... remove the temptation from view and you'll forget it exists.... Who are they kidding? And more to the point, whats next? As mentioned above, chocolate tempts many of us to indulge, as do nice fat cream cakes in shop windows, how about the ice-cream van?
    Are all the high calorie foods going to be hidden in the future, encouraging us all to follow a healthy diet thereby reducing obesity and al the health problems that can bring?

If anything should disappear I'd like it to be this government!

Jackie
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi

It was lucky for me that the Nanny State snoopers weren't around when I had the row in the restaurant recently. I might have been prosecuted for verbal abuse of jumped-up restaurant managers otherwise :!:

How dare he say I was wrong :!: :!: :roll:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    So we think we have it bad.

According to El Pais, (translated as The Country), which is a Spanish newspaper:

Spanish mobile operators last night cut off an estimated three to four million pre-pay mobile phones whose owners had not followed government instructions to register their devices. The pre-pay total on all the disconnected phones could be around €25m. When they have a good thing going for them?

The mandatory scheme says all pre-pay mobiles have to be assigned to an ID document, (i.e. Identity Card) or get disconnected and lose number and credit.
    a100.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Like wimmen are never wrong, right? :D

Not this one, my man. Cross swords with me at your peril :!: :!:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • nobody
    nobody Member Posts: 12
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Jackie,

Its nice to see you again :D

As someone 100% adicted they could put them any where at all and I would still find them and buy them :wink: Take care Cris x

So good to know that I am not the only one who is not perfect in this world :wink:

The weed also helps me keep the weight down --- a big plus for the joints --- no --- not those one's

Luv

Indigo (x)