soul mates

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 10. Nov 2009, 13:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

Cheryl Cole was asked recently what she thought about the concept of soul mates. She replied ," I happen to believe that your soul mate doesn't have to be your partner- your soul mate could be your best friend, youir sibling, it doesn't have to be the person you marry."

What do you think about this statement?

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yer but......no but........yer but................no but..............yer......

That should be something she understands....... n075.gifn075.gifn075.gif

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    I don't know, it's a funny idea to have a soul mate in a way....

To think that out of the billions of people in the world there is only one perfect person who is just right for you whether it is on a friendship/relationship/other level is quite something and to also think that you have a chance at meeting them!

Having said that I believe I may just have married my soulmate! :D There was a zillion to one chance that my path would cross with my hubbys on a fateful night 10 years ago and yet it happened!

We saw each other across a crowded room and that was it. It wasn't love at first sight but we were completely drawn to each other and have been inseparable ever since.

I wonder whether Cheryl Cole thinks her hubby is or isn't her soul mate? Wonder if she has found her soul mate as a friend instead....

A x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Rob

It is a serious philosophical question really, and I think she was quite courageous to answer it in that way in the light of her husband's behaviour.

Joan
  • joanlawson
    Options
    gickygawky wrote:

To think that out of the billions of people in the world there is only one perfect person who is just right for you whether it is on a friendship/relationship/other level is quite something and to also think that you have a chance at meeting them!

Having said that I believe I may just have married my soulmate! :D There was a zillion to one chance that my path would cross with my hubbys on a fateful night 10 years ago and yet it happened!

We saw each other across a crowded room and that was it. It wasn't love at first sight but we were completely drawn to each other and have been inseparable ever since.

I wonder whether Cheryl Cole thinks her hubby is or isn't her soul mate? Wonder if she has found her soul mate as a friend instead....

A x

Hi Arna

I agree with you that there isn't just one person in the world, and it is a zillion to one chance of meeting them. But when you do, I think you somehow know almost from the start. It sounds as though you have met your true soul mate, so well done!

I don't think Cheryl Cole has found her soul mate in her husband because she has said that she doesn't trust anyone in life except her mother and her dogs.

Joan
  • robertls
    Options
    I'm afraid as soon as I hear a 'star' say "I happen to believe"

Alarms bells start to ring..................Me cynical...........yes.

Start wondering how much their 'belief' is worth....

Or do they all do these interviews for free????

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    Oh my goodness, that is so sad to hear she doesn't trust her husband. And that means she mustn't trust her friends either, what a shame for her.

Who can blame her for not trusting her husband after his appalling behaviour, she is a stronger person than me, I would have kicked him out on his ear if it was me.

Yes, I think I am extremely lucky to have met my hubby, crazy things happen sometimes don't they!

A x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    robertls wrote:

Rob x

Hi Rob

I know what you mean, but it wasn't Cheryl Cole I was interested in, so much as the concept of soul mates.

Joan
  • robertls
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    robertls wrote:

Rob x

Hi Rob

I know what you mean, but it wasn't Cheryl Cole I was interested in, so much as the concept of soul mates.

Well...................Sorry.... I'm the last person to ask this question..............
    I thought I had found mine 38 years ago.................Look what happened to that 'ideal'.............

Is there another waiting for me somewhere..............??

Rob x

Joan
    Roba045.gif
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Rob

Well perhaps that proves Cheryl's point about your soul mate not necessarily being your partner or the person you marry. It also might bear out the notion that there is more than one person in the world who can be your soul mate.

If you find your soul mate, I think it as though you have always known each other. It's a difficult thing to explain.

Joan
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Joan

Oh yummy, another philosophical question to wrestle with :?: .

Am not sure why but when I saw this I suddenly thought of the lyrics to the song "I know him so well" from the musical Chess.
    ' No one in your life is with you constantly. No one is completely on your side..."

Would love to believe in the concept of a soul mate, and am sure it is true for many happy people. I suppose my twin is a soul mate at times but certainly NOT all the time. :roll: I think perhaps those of us who have 'been burnt' in the past may be too cyncial to give this concept the thought it deserves!
    To quote my fav. childrens' book again. "everyone has their own agenda" :?:

p.s. If you see my soul mate anywhere, tell them I'd be happy to meet them, I'll keep looking.
    Chris :wink:
  • joanlawson
    Options
    chris7 wrote:
    Hi Joan

Oh yummy, another philosophical question to wrestle with :?: .

Am not sure why but when I saw this I suddenly thought of the lyrics to the song "I know him so well" from the musical Chess.
    ' No one in your life is with you constantly. No one is completely on your side..."

Would love to believe in the concept of a soul mate, and am sure it is true for many happy people. I suppose my twin is a soul mate at times but certainly NOT all the time. :roll: I think perhaps those of us who have 'been burnt' in the past may be too cyncial to give this concept the thought it deserves!
    To quote my fav. childrens' book again. "everyone has their own agenda" :?:

p.s. If you see my soul mate anywhere, tell them I'd be happy to meet them, I'll keep looking.

Hi Chris
    Thanks for giving me your thoughts on this,

Those lyrics;

No-one in your life is with you constantly
    No-one is completely on your side

raise another interesting question regarding soul mates. It seems a rather cynical view, but I suppose we all know that nothing is fixed in stone regarding any relationship. But the song goes on;

Wasn't it good?
    Oh so good

so I think that is probably the answer. If you find a soul mate, make the most of it, even if it doesn't last for ever.

You will probably find yours when you least expect it. I hope so!

Joan
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    gickygawky wrote:

A x

Hi Arna

I agree with you that there isn't just one person in the world, and it is a zillion to one chance of meeting them. But when you do, I think you somehow know almost from the start. It sounds as though you have met your true soul mate, so well done!

I don't think Cheryl Cole has found her soul mate in her husband because she has said that she doesn't trust anyone in life except her mother and her dogs.

Joan

I agree there can be one special one; I also think that sometimes what may be seen as 'second best' turns out to be 100% perfect - and some of us are lucky twice!

Annie
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi again Joan

Good point about those lyrics. I can certainly more readily accept the idea of a soul mate 'in the moment' as it were. Guess I was in a 'glass half empty' mode when I replied earlier. I try hard but sometimes struggle to see it 'half full' I'll blame the forum cold and try singing "The day before you came". :lol:
    Good for you Annie, that was nice to see above.
    take care of your soul mates people.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    As I said on Rehab's thread, I think a soul mate is a special friend who understands you better than you understand yourself.

Joan
  • indigo
    indigo Member Posts: 113
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    As I said on Rehab's thread, I think a soul mate is a special friend who understands you better than you understand yourself.

Joan

A friend is one to whom you may pour out the contents of your heart -

chaff and grain together--

knowing that the gentlest of hands will take them and sift them

keep what is worth keeping - and with a breath of kindness

blow the rest away..........

It goes
    something like that

A soul mate
    nurtures the grain - and uses the chaff to suppress the weeds .

Luv Indigo (x)
  • joanlawson
    Options
    indigo wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:

Joan

A friend is one to whom you may pour out the contents of your heart -

chaff and grain together--

knowing that the gentlest of hands will take them and sift them

keep what is worth keeping - and with a breath of kindness

blow the rest away..........

It goes
    something like that

A soul mate
    nurtures the grain - and uses the chaff to suppress the weeds .

Luv Indigo (x)

Hi Indigo

That is a very good description of a soul mate, and very well worded. I hope you have found your soul mate. A little bird has told me you might have.

Joan
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I agree you can have a soul mate that isn’t your partner someone who shares an unspoken bond with you, I don’t know about anyone else but I have a few close friends and I have a kind of ESP with them, sadly though I have also lost good friends to the ether of life, we were close but just lost contact they drifted away into life’s void. When they did I felt let down in a way but I have come to terms with it by applying a Buddhist take on it, everything through your life is transient and is designed to forward your journey to true enlightenment friends and possessions etc, we come into this world alone with nothing other than our souls and we depart the same way you can’t take anything with you friends possessions loved ones, you just have to let them go they have their own paths to follow even soul mates don’t last forever. I think I digressed a bit there didn’t I!.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    I agree you can have a soul mate that isn’t your partner someone who shares an unspoken bond with you, I don’t know about anyone else but I have a few close friends and I have a kind of ESP with them, sadly though I have also lost good friends to the ether of life, we were close but just lost contact they drifted away into life’s void. When they did I felt let down in a way but I have come to terms with it by applying a Buddhist take on it, everything through your life is transient and is designed to forward your journey to true enlightenment friends and possessions etc, we come into this world alone with nothing other than our souls and we depart the same way you can’t take anything with you friends possessions loved ones, you just have to let them go they have their own paths to follow even soul mates don’t last forever. I think I digressed a bit there didn’t I!.

Hi Mell

I like your thoughtful reply. It is true that ultimately we are all alone, and friends do come and go, but all we can do is cherish our soulmates during the time we have with them. That kind of unspoken bond and ESP is difficult to explain, isn't it, but it definitely exists.

Joan