Someone To Talk To!

staceyh21
staceyh21 Member Posts: 6
edited 9. Dec 2009, 06:16 in Young people's community
Hey Im Kinda New To This. Got Diagnosed 6 Years Ago At 15. Been In Remission Up Until 2 Months Ago , Seems Like My RA Has Came Back With A Vengence. Its Worse Than Ever. Got Promoted To Assistant Manager In My Job 6 Months Ago But Lately Iv Had Loads Of Time Off, Feel As If All My Hard Work To Get The Job Has Been Wasted. No-One I Know Has RA Or Anything Similar So Dont Have Anyone To Talk Too. Family n Friends Just Dont Understand What Its Like.

Feelin Sorry For Myself Just Now I Think :lol:

Just A Bit Of A Shock To Have Life Halted Again At 21

Comments

• calcass
    calcass Member Posts: 29
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there

Sorry to read you're having a rough time. I've had RA since I was a toddler and through my teens it appeared then disappeared - just as it goes! I went into remission when I was 18 and I was discharged from hosp, it was still there but not as distracting as it had been.

My remission didn't last very long - a few years and once it reared its ugly head I was warned by my doc to settle down a bit and revise my lifestyle (!) I was working in pubs and once I found a treatment which suited I carried on. I even moved away from home and ended up as a manager for Wetherspoons!

Unfortunately though I didn't take heed of the warnings my body was giving me, so instead of taking things a bit easier and resting from time to time I did have a relapse brought on by a virus.

It's prob not what you wanted to hear but what I'm trying to say is have fun, push your doctors for effective treatment, don't think that you've been wrote off by your body but do listen to your body and if you need some time out take it there is plenty of time.
    Since my relapse I've gained a degree in Criminology so don't let Arfur get you too bogged down!

Take care of yourself :wink:
    Be more Panda
    Ccass
  • kneedown
    kneedown Member Posts: 21
    Hi iv also had RA since i was young and I was in a bad way most of my childhood but when i was about 14 I started lifting weights and found it to be the best thing for my condition, I talked to my physio and they agreed that it would help. I had afew good years but stoped lifting weights coz I started partying lol and found my RA to get worse, Im now getting back into weight training but easing myself back into it, I find it alot better that the exercises the physio had me do. I also find it hard to talk to people about my RA and I dont talk to any1 about it just my mum lol. So I joind this forum hoping to meet some people my own age who wouldnt see me as disabled as I feel thats what people think even tho thats not what they say.

My advise would be that dont get too down about things and take it easy but not too easy :wink:
  • lisaj85
    lisaj85 Member Posts: 2
    Hi!! Im new to the forum, but find just reading the threads on here really useful, to know that I am not the only one who is young and suffering as I can't say I have ever met someone else similiar age to me with RA! I really understand your frustration finding someone to talk to about it who can really really understand how you feel.

I've had RA for 6 years now (since I was eighteen) and I let it get me down for a long time, but you have to just find what is best for you like a good balance between rest and exercise ( I also find weight lifting and going to the gym really beneficial).

Im sorry that your feeling so down at the moment, getting a good nights sleep and waking up with a positive mind and a big smile always help me!

Take Care

Lxx
  • clairy
    clairy Member Posts: 29
    Hi,

Sorry to hear your arthritis is back :(

It's hard to have to adjust to it again. The best thing i can suggest is to stay positive even though it is hard sometimes, but you can get through it.

Are the doctors helping with treatment and things?

Hope you feel better soon.
  • staceyh21
    Calcass......

Im In A Similar Situation , I Am An Assistant Manager In A Pub As You Know Its Not The Kinda Job Where You Can Just Have A Rest When You Feel Like It. Been Told To Reconsider My Career. Im Also A Qualified Beauty Therapist But Cant Do That Either. No Idea What The Plan Is Now! But Hey Ho Il Work Something Out. Thanx For The Reply.

Kneedown.....

I No Exactly What You Mean , I Dont Tok To Any1 Other Than My Mum Either But Its Kinda Gettin To The Stage Where Im Feelin As If Thers Not Much More I Can Say To Get Her To Understand. Its Great Tokin To Other Young People Who Are Goin Through The Same Thing.

Thanx Every1 For Your Replys And Kind Words.Wish You All The Best! x
  • kneedown
    kneedown Member Posts: 21
    At least we can talk to eachother now :D
  • staceyh21
    kneedown wrote:
    At least we can talk to eachother now :D[/quote

Yip :D Sent You A Message But Have No Idea If It Actually Sent! :shock: x
  • maxi90
    maxi90 Member Posts: 11
    staceyh21 wrote:
    Hey Im Kinda New To This. Got Diagnosed 6 Years Ago At 15. Been In Remission Up Until 2 Months Ago , Seems Like My RA Has Came Back With A Vengence. Its Worse Than Ever. Got Promoted To Assistant Manager In My Job 6 Months Ago But Lately Iv Had Loads Of Time Off, Feel As If All My Hard Work To Get The Job Has Been Wasted. No-One I Know Has RA Or Anything Similar So Dont Have Anyone To Talk Too. Family n Friends Just Dont Understand What Its Like.

Feelin Sorry For Myself Just Now I Think :lol:

Just A Bit Of A Shock To Have Life Halted Again At 21

hey i was digonsed nearly 7yrs come janurary with JIA and i seem to in remission as i am slowly coming off the tablets which i'm really glad of as hopefully i'm off to unio in september and don't want to be on any of it as it will cost me so much. none of mates know what i am going through with the pain and there is only one memeber of my family knows how i feel (my mum as she suffers with a type of RA)