cold callers at the door

Options
oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 21. Nov 2009, 07:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am fed up of answering the door to window sellers, utility companies and now the internet,tv phone company beginining with an S.
I opened the door,he said where he was from, I said i was busy. He carried on and asked who my service provider is, I said thats my private business and asked him to leave. He then asked again who i was with. I said go away you are hasselling me, he said i am not hasselling you and all he wants to know is who i am with!! I said you (his company) had been before and he said he (personaly) hadnt been before. I said go away, he didnt so i shut the door .

I was going to phone the company hes come from but its one of those tel nos they make money out of you.

What is it with these people? why do they carry on when you say youre busy, then tell them to go away...on private property etc....
I am really angry.
I thought cold callers were illegal?

oh yes, he said are you Mrs X? I said i am not telling you!!

Would saying i am going to phone the police get rid of him.
I hate them.arrh...................

Comments

• oneday
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    had a thought....also get mail off these idiots....instead of binning it i am going to return to sender so they get charged with a note on the envelope about their door sellers and how i wouldnt do business with a company like that! haa pay back.....1 to me.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Email customer services for the company and tell them in no uncertain terms to stop hassling you. Also tell them that if they do not cease immediately you will take them to the County Court and claim damages for harassment.

This worked for me. I had a 'very sorry' letter from the Customer Manager and no probs since.

If they will not go away, close the door, phone the police and say you are disabled and 'very frightened' by a caller at the door who will not leave. You don't have to put up with nuisance callers at the door.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, we keep getting Eon at the door, we left them last year as we sick to death of them, they don't take the message though, when they knock at the door either Malcolm or I answer, when they say their name we say no, one of them asked why we left Malcolm said none of your business, if they persist we say what part of no don't you understand? and shut the door.

I have rung Eon and told them never to come here again or I will call the police love Jaspercatxx
  • oneday
    Options
    lol i do that too, makes me feel gooood ! :lol:

great minds hey (pretend wink icon here!)
    got letter off virgin today so am returning that to sender too.
  • oneday
    Options
    Email customer services for the company and tell them in no uncertain terms to stop hassling you. Also tell them that if they do not cease immediately you will take them to the County Court and claim damages for harassment.

This worked for me. I had a 'very sorry' letter from the Customer Manager and no probs since.

If they will not go away, close the door, phone the police and say you are disabled and 'very frightened' by a caller at the door who will not leave. You don't have to put up with nuisance callers at the door.

Joseph 8)

I sort of thought of that but then thought they would get my email address and bombard me with that spam,although i could set up a temporary address.
    I couldnt believe the guy just wouldnt go even when i told him he was harrassing me, he just i guess argued that he wasnt..therby harrassing me yet again.
    I am being polite, bit hard to have a personality transplant. I am thinking of saying I am a visitor not the householder but can imagine i would get another spanish inquistion about the householder return.
  • oneday
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    oneday wrote:
    I am fed up of answering the door to window sellers, utility companies and now the internet,tv phone company beginining with an S.
    I opened the door,he said where he was from, I said i was busy. He carried on and asked who my service provider is, I said thats my private business and asked him to leave. He then asked again who i was with. I said go away you are hasselling me, he said i am not hasselling you and all he wants to know is who i am with!! I said you (his company) had been before and he said he (personaly) hadnt been before. I said go away, he didnt so i shut the door .

I was going to phone the company hes come from but its one of those tel nos they make money out of you.

What is it with these people? why do they carry on when you say youre busy, then tell them to go away...on private property etc....
    I am really angry.
    I thought cold callers were illegal?

oh yes, he said are you Mrs X? I said i am not telling you!!

Would saying i am going to phone the police get rid of him.
    I hate them.arrh...................

I had a similar experience with a power company called E'on :shock: I was really put under pressure by the salesman, asked to produce my last utility bill and even told not to be so negative!, I told the guy to go away in in jerky movements and closed the door on him.

I them phoned customer service of the company, and gave them the name of the sales person. I informed them that I was disabled and a pensioner and that I was intimidated and frightened by their staff.( :wink: ) I went on to say that I would be contacting Trading Standards and the Ombudsman and reporting them. They were very apologetic and told me that they would investigate. I think it was about 10 days later that I receiced a long letter informing me that they had contacted a number of other houses in this salesman round asking how they were dealt with.
    The outcome was that the guy was sacked (or so they said) and I received a full apology and a cheque for £25.

I believe in all cases of salesmen coming to your door that the procedure should be is to get the salesperson name from his ID, thank them and inform them that you are not interested and close the door, unless of course you neeed £25 :D Don't be intimidated!

Hi Rehab
    i did think you would reply! hee hee.........(in all that laughter i forgot what i was going to say,whoops)..oh yes, i did email trading standards last night although anything i have ever asked help from them for they say they dont deal with that!
    I thought of you this morning when stood in the queue at the supermarket.
    Yes, the woman in front had an avalanche of vouchers and took ages. Behind me were a couple of strange people who must have been let out of somewhere for the day. He was deciding which q to go to, now no problem with that, but he was v strange and i thought oh no,when i ask the cashier to get my bashed tuna tins swapped it may throw him off his track and throw a wobbler etc.
    Then i too had vouchers and a raincheck voucher. The cashier needed help to scan this handwritten rain check and all the time the strange couple were behind me.
    I got out in one piece though.
  • oneday
    Options
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi, we keep getting Eon at the door, we left them last year as we sick to death of them, they don't take the message though, when they knock at the door either Malcolm or I answer, when they say their name we say no, one of them asked why we left Malcolm said none of your business, if they persist we say what part of no don't you understand? and shut the door.

I have rung Eon and told them never to come here again or I will call the police love Jaspercatxx

Hi Kat
    i even shouted my husband to come to the door as a man was hasselling me, man at door didnt go and husband didnt hear me from the kitchen, great. My husband is well built and the guy wasnt. I cant believe when i said get off my property he still stood there. They must have some training mustnt they? I would love some bizarre replies to throw them.............any ideas anyone???
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 17. Nov 2009, 10:59
    Options
    .?.
    Roba045.gif
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Just do what I do and tell them you dont own the house and that you are just renting the house and will be moving next month, it works a treat for those numpties that phone me selling double flippin glazing etc, it might be worth a crack. :wink:
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, actually I have had some trouble with Virgin recently, my modem stopped working it took me 6 days to persuade them that I needed a new one, finally an engineer came with a new modem but he forgot to activate it, I couldn't get in touch with them for another 22 hours, finally sorted now though.

I am looking for a new supplier for my broadband love Jaspercatxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Oh Oneday
    That is really upsetting isn't it?
    I have asign on the door you know the kind..... I do not buy form or sell to callers at the door.....
    I just say.
    Can you not read?
    and close the door.
    It still upsets me for a minute or two but soon forget it.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • livinglegend
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    I sort of thought of that but then thought they would get my email address and bombard me with that spam, although i could set up a temporary address.

Easier than you think to set up an anti-spam email address.
    Set up a hotmail or gmail address, both are free, and use it for anything you like, email, letters or online forms. Open it about once a month and delete everything in the inbox without reading it.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi

I live in a No Cold-Calling Area, and there are signs up on the lamp posts to that effect. I also have a sign on my front door with a big red cross and the word BEWARE in big letters above words to warn that we are in a designated no cold calling area,and that anyone who ignores this will be reported to Trading Standards and the Police.

Yet still every so often someone will come and try to get round it by saying that they are conducting a survey and just want to ask a few questions. Or they will say they are just giving out some information.

Now, I just point at the sign on the door and say,"Can't you read?"

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • oneday
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Just do what I do and tell them you dont own the house and that you are just renting the house and will be moving next month, it works a treat for those numpties that phone me selling double flippin glazing etc, it might be worth a crack. :wink:

good idea!
    on a similiar vein when i last went abroad and there were those touts stopping you to go to some complex time share type event someone told us to say we were on benefits then they wouldnt be interested as only after homeowners.
    i tried to pretend i was english then the guy went through a load of other languages then my husband got annoyed with him still pursuing us and it was nearly pistols at dawn.......once we got a tan and it was obvious we had been there a while they left us alone, so theres a tip, self tan before you go and they think they have got you before.
  • oneday
    Options
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi, actually I have had some trouble with Virgin recently, my modem stopped working it took me 6 days to persuade them that I needed a new one, finally an engineer came with a new modem but he forgot to activate it, I couldn't get in touch with them for another 22 hours, finally sorted now though.

I am looking for a new supplier for my broadband love Jaspercatxx

dont pick S either, dont like their manner at all.
  • oneday
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Oh Oneday
    That is really upsetting isn't it?
    I have asign on the door you know the kind..... I do not buy form or sell to callers at the door.....
    I just say.
    Can you not read?
    and close the door.
    It still upsets me for a minute or two but soon forget it.
    Take care
    Toni x

Trading standards are posting me a sticker!
    (of course my choice where to stick it!!)
  • oneday
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    I sort of thought of that but then thought they would get my email address and bombard me with that spam, although i could set up a temporary address.

Easier than you think to set up an anti-spam email address.
    Set up a hotmail or gmail address, both are free, and use it for anything you like, email, letters or online forms. Open it about once a month and delete everything in the inbox without reading it.

Joseph 8)

Recently i got a lot of spam from banks etc and think its from a company i bought something on line. I opened one and it just said to all recipients so i didint know to which temporary email they sent it but sussed it out.
  • oneday
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    YOPMAIL is a great way to avoid spam as the email address you create only lasts 15 minutes. :lol:

cheers.
  • oneday
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    I've just spent a satisfying 15 minutes dealing with our local enforcement agency with Birmingham Council. I had a flyer through the door asking for clothing donations, now I know that you need a licence to do this so though I would check and I went this route because I feel the the flyer is misleading. It states that clothing will be donated to poor countries but I doubt this very much as this is a charitable act and they are not registered as a charity. I suspect it will end up being sold to line the pockets of the company directors.

I got loads of these too......arent the companies awful who do this.
  • oneday
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi

I live in a No Cold-Calling Area, and there are signs up on the lamp posts to that effect. I also have a sign on my front door with a big red cross and the word BEWARE in big letters above words to warn that we are in a designated no cold calling area,and that anyone who ignores this will be reported to Trading Standards and the Police.

Yet still every so often someone will come and try to get round it by saying that they are conducting a survey and just want to ask a few questions. Or they will say they are just giving out some information.

Now, I just point at the sign on the door and say,"Can't you read?"

Joan

No messing with you Joan!!!!!!!!!!!!i have your door pictured in my mind!
  • livinglegend
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    Yopmail is a great way to avoid spam as the email address you create only lasts 15 minutes.

Note the following Yopmail t&cs:
    The mailboxes are public, e-mail messages displayed by this service may be seen by everyone provided they know the name of the mail account. Messages are held for 8 days so I would use the random generator to provide some confidentiality.
    http://www.yopmail.com/en/

I use http://www.guerrillamail.com which lasts one hour then dies and messages are removed. Again it's public access, no password, but gives you a clock onscreen for the countdown.

You takes your choice, but better than spam.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    If all else fails I use a 20 bore semi auto beretta shotgun that normally does the trick, oh that and telling them I'm Tony Martins brother. :mrgreen:
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Oneday

I would have a hanky with you next time, hopefully they will leave or not call. If they don't get your hanky out and pretend you are going to sneeze, say something about swine flu.....................woosh gone.

Trisher xx
  • oneday
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    If all else fails I use a 20 bore semi auto beretta shotgun that normally does the trick, oh that and telling them I'm Tony Martins brother. :mrgreen:

like that one!!