Television.......

Options
indigo
indigo Member Posts: 113
edited 18. Nov 2009, 13:54 in Community Chit-chat archive
Does the world revolve around television? Are you a ' none ' person if you are not watching all the 'soaps '
all the reality shows and the chat shows?

There are some good programs shown on television.......from documentaries to Disney films
I am not suggesting it is
all trashy --- .

The perception that you do not have a life if you are not up to
date on the latest goings on in various programs just makes
me wonder at times how life is perceived to be.... in the ' real'
world.

Maybe it is me

Any thoughts from anyone
in the 'real' world

Love Indigo (x)

Comments

• harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    every year in the summer we "lose" our reception as our sky dish is pointing through the trees and as soon as the leaves have grown and are bushy the signal goes...and we dont miss it a bit, we catch up on news - sometimes - on the net......infact i didnt even know Michael Jackson had died until 2 days later !!!!
    i never watch soaps, cant stand em..too dreary, we watch a lot of dvds......and if you take a look at my topic "HUSBANDS MUSIC" you'll see that Sunday nights are brimming with live music !!!!
    Sally.xxxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    From someone who watches television so rarely she doesn't know how to switch it on, take it from me there is a life without it!

I occasionally watch something like Antique Roadshow or a news bulletin, but that's about all I do see of it.

Annie
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    I honestly believe that most - not all -television programmes nowadays are an insult to peoples intellect.

Give me my books, radio, and laptop, and **** the telly!
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I'm the same as you indigo I don't watch them I prefer Documentaries mind you some of those have gone a bit low eyebrow, I watched the one about black holes(who's afraid of the big black hole)and that was really good as is the natural history series Life but I treid to watch the one on string theory last night and it was pant's I thought string theory has been de bunked anyway so why have a program about it that wasn't any good beats me, stocking filling no doubt.
    My nipper however is getting into Eastenders and home and away or whatever it is, ye gods Hitler has got a lot to answer for, why in hell didn't he bomb the east end totally flat when he had a chance beats me, the place is dark violent and grim as hell and everyone seems to have a sore throat,!?. :?
  • angel1
    Options
    am on first name terms with my local librarians.[/quote]

Me too Delboy, I get invited to the staff parties!.........Ange.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, we like mostly documentries, animal programmes, antiques programmes and comedy, I will admit to sometimes watching soaps, but it usually early mornings when I can't sleep, or when I get up early to feed the cat love Jaspercatxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Indigo :D

We do not have a TV and have not had one for 33 years. :D:D:D

Our two children are well adjusted too. :lol::lol::lol::lol: They had access/got tv's when they eventually moved out. :D

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    My autistic son hates the T.V-goes absolutely crazy if it is on so I gave up watching.The OH sneaks into another room to watch T.V.I dont really miss it.I sometimes watch documentries on i player and also flash forward which I managed to watch 2 weeks in a row when son was away and have had to watch ever since.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • indigo
    indigo Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Majority :lol::lol:

rehab.......glad you had a larf ole boy.......does one good don't you know :lol::lol:

Meanwhile I am happy to remain a ' none ' person who has actually got a real life ....

I can enjoy the real beauty of this world we have........and not be
    drawn into the ugly darkness you spoke of in the world of soaps
    and various other productions.

Each to their own......... :wink:

Love Indigo (x)
  • angel1
    Options
    In my job I see the real life results of the sort of things you describe, and it ain`t fun believe me.

Perhaps thats why I don`t want it brought into my own home.........Ange.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    The above posts made I larf :D:D:D:D"oh dear no, I never watch those soaps or reality shows, tut! tut!, whatever next"? :roll:

Is there just a teensy weensy touch of intellectual snobbery sneaking in? Isn't everything that is a series a soap, the detective programmes, the science fiction series? Or is it as I suspect the series involving people that you would just hate to live next door to? :shock: The same sort of people that you would just hate to be associated with?

Nothing wrong with soaps, it employs people, it generates wealth and like the Romans and the games it keeps a lot of people happy. Given the opportunity would the gainsayers ban soaps or replace them with something better? (sic)

Reality shows are fantastic, the early rounds of the X factor are hillarious, The Restaurant is great fun, even though the people involved are fighting for a new career, unlike the I'm a Celeb people who already have a career but a little more media coverage can do no harm :D

On the whole I believe that British soaps/reality shows are far better than the American variety, consider your self lucky enough to have a selection of programmes and channels and a remote that will switch the television off or to another channel that suits your intellectual bent. In the meantime let the remainder of us (the majority) enjoy Kate Price in all her magnificence, the many botched weddings and the murders, rapes and house burning on the soaps :D

I just don't like the telly full stop - I rarely find anything which gets me gripped and I get restless and am a pain in the neck fidgeting about.
    I've no wish to stop anyone from watching/reading/doing anything they like provided it's legal!
    As far as the soaps are concerned, if that's real life, it ain't anything like mine! But then mine would hardly be entertaining.................

Annie