Capsicum cream.

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 19. Nov 2009, 15:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Is there anyone on here that uses or has used capsicum cream for pain control if so what do or did you think of it?. :?:

Comments

• angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Is there anyone on here that uses or has used capsicum cream for pain control if so what do or did you think of it?. :?:

Thought about it Mell, but was put off by reports of burning of skin. Have you used it?........Ange.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I've used one that I found on the net - they've stopped making it now and although I've found a substitute it isn't quite so good.
    Yes, it does burn a bit, but as I've always worked and painkillers make me drowsy, I've relied on that to get me through meetings, etc.
    I've cut down on work hours now, and it was expensive, so next time I see the doctor I'm going to ask for it on prescription. Incidentally, it must be six or seven years since I started using it, long before it became well known.

Annie
  • mellman01
    Options
    angel1 wrote:
    mellman01 wrote:

Thought about it Mell, but was put off by reports of burning of skin. Have you used it?........Ange.

Hi Ange yes I use it and as Annie say's it does burn, the trick is to keep using it every day, I put it on last thing at night and first thing in the morning and then once around mid day, it burns with the same feeling you get when you eat chilli but at the place of application and sometimes it doesn't get hot straight away but hours later!?, this stops in around 8-10 days and slowly goes away you will don't notice it unless you over use the joint then it can sometimes feel a little hot, all in all it's a good mid pain stopper but if you are having a flare it only helps so much, but it's reduced my daily intake of pain meds by about 70%,mind you I have OA so I don't know about RA pain. Oh Annie I get mine through my GP it's called Zachin 0.025% capsaicin cream, made by Cephalon.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Thanks for the info, Mell, I have made a note of it.

Annie
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Mell I used it last summer, there should be a thread here somewhere about it. I had to stop using it as I took a reaction, came out in hives. I got it on prescription from my GP.
    rita
  • mellman01
    Options
    ritwren wrote:
    Mell I used it last summer, there should be a thread here somewhere about it. I had to stop using it as I took a reaction, came out in hives. I got it on prescription from my GP.
    rita

Hi Rita sorry to hear that's something I never even thought of, did you notice any difference to your pain levels when you stopped using it??, I dam well hope I don't react the same way as I'm sure it's the only thing keeping the big bad pain wolf from my door :|
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I'm delighted to hear you're getting some relief from it. I always ment to try it again. I was pretty desperate when I started using it and did get a little bit of ease in my knees but I ended up in hospital about a week or so after I stopped as I was having the most horrendous flare up so I can't give a non biased opinion to be honest. I think at that time nothing short of unconsciousness would have taken my pain away. :roll:
    rita