Cardiac stress test oops!

Options
diane56
diane56 Member Posts: 24
edited 19. Nov 2009, 11:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
I went to have a cardiac stress test today at our local general hospital, as well as the arthritis i have a few other health issues
I had one of these tests back in 2000 but not been since, but i have had a few episodes of chest pain, anyway after having all the leads strapped to my c hest as the indignity of stripping to the waist,i got on the treadmill, they put the blood pressure cuff on and did the bp reading, then again and again, then looked abit oddly at the other lady who was assisting, got her to do it, and then i was told my BP was 225/120 and so they couldn't do the test as it was not safe. felt a bit silly, my BP is normally high but i had to stop taking my meds for 48 hours before the test, so my BPwent through the roof! My goodness I'm slowly falling apart!! I was pleased it was today because i was having a good day for a change. They say life begins at 40 well, for me its been slowly going down hill evber since! I'm 53 now.The physio or whatever her title was now has to get back to the doctor in the hospital to see what he wants to do next. My OH thought it was amusing! to me its just another pain in the butt! oh well such is life

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi diane56 that's a bit of a bugger did they give you anythnig to bring it back down when you were there, at that level they sohuld have done, I have high bp & high cholesterol so I have had this kind of thig happen to me to, I use to also run to keep fit and my knees went west so I know how you feel, the older I get bits keep going wrong despite my best efforts to avoid it, due to these attempts, no one ever told me exercise could be bad for your health! :roll:
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Diane

Do you think your BP could have gone extra-high because of the sress of being in that situation and being tested? There is white-coat syndrome, isn't there, where simply by being in a medical environment, your BP goes shooting up.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • diane56
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Hi diane56 that's a bit of a bugger did they give you anythnig to bring it back down when you were there, at that level they sohuld have done, I have high bp & high cholesterol so I have had this kind of thig happen to me to, I use to also run to keep fit and my knees went west so I know how you feel, the older I get bits keep going wrong despite my best efforts to avoid it, due to these attempts, no one ever told me exercise could be bad for your health! :roll:

HI there, no, i had to take my meds when i got home, are you on meds for your BP & cholestorerol? my cholesterol is 6.1 i was told it is high though don't have any medication for it. The trouble with the cardiac stress test is that i have to stop taking my betablockers 48 hrs before so this in itself causes BP to rise, so might have to try again by still taking the meds can't see how that would give a true reading as the heart has to be under a certain amount of stress from what i read,i was quite looking forward to the test i was interested in how i did never mind better luck next time takke care Diane
  • diane56
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Diane

Do you think your BP could have gone extra-high because of the sress of being in that situation and being tested? There is white-coat syndrome, isn't there, where simply by being in a medical environment, your BP goes shooting up.

Joan
    Hi Joan. maybe a little but i had to stop taking my betablockers for 48hrs before the test that would cause my BP to rise in itself but been on them since 2000,so my blood pressure went a bit too high ! i was looking forward to the test i wanted to see how i did! & my arthritis wasn't too bad yesterday, always the way eh! take care Diane