amitriptyline

Options
christine46
christine46 Member Posts: 5
edited 24. Nov 2009, 19:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone had amitriptyline prescribed for their osteoarthritis?

Comments

• christine46
    christine46 Member Posts: 5
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have been prescribed it for pain relief.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Christine,

Its used as a muscle relaxer and quite few people take it I think. Its there to help with the muscle spasms I think. I don't take it but it was mentioned in regard to the muscle spasm in my neck and shoulder but then a different type of treatment was offered which worked for me. I hope someone who does take it will be along soon. Take care Cris
  • springs65
    springs65 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Christine

I take Amitriptyline and it does help me sleep. I have OA in many joints and Fibro. I started of with just one 10mg but now up to three at night. As someone said it is used as an antidepressant in a very high dose but the low dose is good as a muscle relaxant.

Hope it works for you
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Yes, I get very uncomfortable at night and dont rest very well, so the Doc gave me amatriptyline. It helps the pain and makes me sleepy. Love Sue
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Christine

Yes, I have. I normally take 2 at night a couple of hours before bed it is a powerful relaxant, which means that I can have some degree of comfort and rest. I normally sleep very well. I only resort to 3 when I have a flare up and this seems to help. Prior to taking amitriptyline I couldn't sleep. OA is in both knees and right shoulder plus hands. I'm never out of bed until 8.45 am since taking them. If I have to get up earlier for any reason say a doctor's or hospital appointment I only take one at night.

Sharmaine

quote="christine46"]Has anyone had amitriptyline prescribed for their osteoarthritis?[/quote]
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Christine I have Nortryptyline which is one of the tricyclid group it’s for OA of my patella it’s ironic but it’s more effective towards the disc problem I have in my neck, I was on Amyl but got changed for side effect reasons, I still get them with the new Nortryp but not so bad, one side effect I do still have and have had with both is very vivid dreams nothing nasty just it’s just that they seem to get mixed up with what I have done that day, really odd stuff it’s a bit confusing some mornings I can tell you, I have also been given Capsicum cream and I found it’s really worked for me, doesn’t stop the real heavy pain when I’ve done way to much but other than that it’s been really useful, mind you if you decide to go down that route read the instructions as it takes constant use for some time for it to really kick in, good luck!. :wink:

Mell
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi,yes most of us take amptripyline.
    I take up to 5 at night depending on pain.The higher dose does give me a headache in the mornings(bit like a hangover)but it soon wears off as i take my other meds.

I have OA & Fibro.Most joints are affected including neck & they do help greatly with sleep,sometimes ive managed a full 12hrs.BLISS but then im always stiffer in the mornings.

Ive been on the amptripyline for over 2 yrs now.
    hope thats a help.
    debs
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,954
    Options
    Hi Cristine.
    I take 2 anitrip at night to help with pain and heavyness in my legs they make you sleep as well
    the only side affect i've noticed is a dry mouth.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maccajo
    maccajo Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi
    I only take 1 10mg and I'm zonked. If I've got an early appointment the next day I don't want to take it because I can't come around for ages. I need to make sure my 14 yr old daughter gets up !!! nightmare teenager.

My rheumy said to keep it up nightly and I will get use to it. If I do miss it I can not sleep at all.

Now I love it I have the best sleeps ever if I have a bad flare I have 2, glad I stuck with it.

Haven't gone back to work yet so I don't know how that will be?

maccajo
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I have been given Amitriptylline because of the lack of sensation in my feet and legs, they are supposed to help with sleep too, they don't always help me to sleep, if they do I can't get going in the morning until around 10am, I get a dry mouth too love Jaspercatxx
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Even if you don't ask a question here it seems someone else does. :D I asked my GP to prescribe me amytriptyline as it was recommended by the pain team and got the prescription filled last week. I took 10mg for 2 nights and had the most awful dreams but after reading this and finding that others have had this too I might try it again in the hope that they will wear off. I read up about it and it's also of help to those who suffer from migraine. My neck is really bothering me at the moment and my migraines are more frequent so I will try again.
    rita
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Amitriptylline is also great for nerve pain (back) but does give you the most awful dreams until you get used to them....worth taking though without a doubt.... hope it works for you....stick with it! iris x
  • jools22
    jools22 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi !!! to all, it is me again after few months... of absence.
    I am also taking Amy..(tryptilyne) 50mg. I owe it that I can take my gradual deterioration "on the chin" and comunicate with Drs withouth craying : :roll: :roll: :roll: .
    I have moved home :roll: finally, and the move nearly "killed" me... I did too much and I am paying for it now...
    reading so many comments about the success of TKR I will accept it when I see my new rheumy on thursday. I was prescribed another medication which would clash with Amy and refused it point blank.
    I am also on Tramadol, diclofenac and omeprazole ( to protect the stomach) it is like taking smarties... no effect whatsoever on the excruciating knee pains. my legs are now all wonky and cannot
    stretch the right one, is permanently bent downwards. using crutches even to make a cup of tea... (and I live alone) however, I still not crying.. Thanks Amy !!!!
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I was prescribed it ages ago and, as like so many of these anti-depressants, I get a very bad reaction to them. They send all my muscles into spasms. I feel like I am going into some kind of withdrawals symptoms. The same goes for antihistimins. I was suffering from dreadful hay fever one year so I was put on them. We were going out for a meal with friends, so I took one to relieve my hayfever. Well, as the evening progressed, I just could not sit still, every muscle was going into spasms and I had to leave and try walking around. Then I came home and the trip home was murder. Just couldn't keep my arms still. I was literally twitching all over. We stopped off at the hospital on the way home and I don't know what they injected me with but it helped the problem. I did have the condition explained to me. So when I am asked if I have any allergies, I say yes, Anti hystimines.
    Some sleeping tablets have it in. Now the Amitriptiline, whether that has any in. For myself, I stay clear.
    joy
  • jools22
    jools22 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    hi jools nice to see you back in the fold :wink: im sorry your suffering so much , have you move to some where easyer for you ? as for actually moving as we no its one of the most stressfull of things to do and thats befor we have to pack it all up , i hate it !! hope your feeling not to bad hun jan xxxx

Hi Jan !!! thanks for your welcome back..I've been visiting the forum but did not participate due to so many things happening, it is a great comfort to know you are all there.. I only wanted to let know how good "Ami" can be to help us deal with Arthur... I can sleep now and as I said, I feel stronger and dealing with Doctors in a more effective way because I am not depressed..( read crying).
    I never had bad dreams, but yes I dream a lot since..
    My side effect, is that it makes my mouth very, very dry.

bye for now and take care
    Jools