Sore Mouth

Options
joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
edited 20. Nov 2009, 18:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
For the 4th month in a row, I have had a really sore mouth where I feel as if all the skin is coming lose. It's making me want to bite it all the time making is worse.
I have a good mouth wash and everything from the dr, but is anyone else suffering like this?

joy

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Heavens Joy... that sounds sore!? what has the doc said? could it be some side effect of your meds? did you start on any new drug 4ths ago? best to get it checked out rather than second guess.

ouch! must also make eating, drinking difficult. I feel it for you. get advice in case you should stop taking one of your meds. iris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I don't know if this is at all relivent but I had a blood transfusion after major surgery and all I can remeber is all the skin peeling off my lips and trying to bite it off!!! Could it be a sign of aneamia or a vitamin shortage? Just a thought, probably does'nt mean anything.
    Hope it soon gets better. Love Sue
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Thanks
    I know thaton the check list I fill out each week before I take the MTX it has mouth sores listed, so have put a 1 against this item.
    Among other side effects? I have ticked hair loss and nausea, but nothing else. Apparently, if you have more than 2 ticks, you should ring your rheumy nurse. So, I was just wondering if maybe this could be MTX related. As I went up from 15 mg to 20 mg, MTX this could be a factor. Does anyone else keep these check lists each week?

joy
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Joy,
    never heard of any check list for MTX but have had the nausea and hair loss too!!! was changed by rheumy to injection MTX last year and no nausea since; also increased the folic acid to treat/ stop the hair loss and that worked too.

sounds from what you've noticed though that the increase in Mtx might be the culprit... why not give rheumy a ring about it? they might suggest dropping it back down to 10mgs to see if that helps...

btw... you don't need to have as high a dose if injecting Mtx as it is absorbed quicker and is more effective (so I was told anyway)

iris x