A Pillow to help my neck at night

Options
janie68
janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
edited 20. Nov 2009, 12:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I am suffering particularly from arthrits in my neck and yesterday woke up with a migraine. Went to the docs who said that it was caused by my arthritis. Does anyone know of a good firm pillow that wil help alleviate it for me at all? I prefer a firm one! :oops:

Thanks

Janie

Comments

• wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Janie,

I too am looking for the perfect pillow!

I've got an orthopedic one from Next at the mo. but it's not brilliant so will watch this thread with interest!

Lois x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I too have a bad neck and use a memory foam pillow, which really does help a lot, but I did wake up with a terrible migraine comming on in the night. I have Naratriptan to take when this happens and its worked, I just have a faint trace of a headache now, nothing like the thumping, sick headaches, which used to keep me in a dark room sipping water and cream crackers, sometimes for 2 or 3 days.

I'd try memory foam, my physio said that it should be the thickness of my shoulder. I find I need a very soft, thin pillow beneath it to get the hight right for me. Love Sue
  • maud48
    maud48 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    I've also got arthur in my neck and have the same problems. I first used a shaped memory foam pillow which helped but then I got a neck collar from the physio which is much better.
    When I went away for the w/e recently I forgot my collar and was panicking I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. Fortunately I remembered something I'd read and used a rolled up small towel around my neck which although not as good as the collar made me a lot more comfortable.
    Hope this helps,
    maud
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Options
    Hi Janie,

I have a dodgy neck too and have taken to not using a pillow at all! :shock: We have a very firm mattress which helps alot. Spoke to physio and she thinks it's great.

Hope you find a solution soon!

A x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    have a disc problem between my C6 & C7 plus my C1 & C2 are fused so I sympathise, I tend to use a thin pillow and fold it into a role and put that under my neck other than that like some on here I don’t use one sometimes, I also have a wide foam tube from of all things a weight bench leg exercise bar!, it’s about 5"(ish) round and sometimes that helps, I’ve tried special memory pillows but they were disappointing and costly with it.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    If you've got a decent mattress, you'd probably get some relief from not using a pillow at all. I've heard some good things about memory foam pills and some bad too but I'm going to buy one and give it a go. I wake up with bad neck pain and headaches and I'm convinced my pillow isn't helping matters.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options
    We had a similar thread a while back and i think it's trial and error. If you don't get it right - then your shoulders can hurt too :shock:
    If anyone knows the perfect answer I would LOVE to hear :)
    Toni x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Like you say Toni..it's trial and error..what suits one person doesn't suit the next and so on..

I us a very flat (and very cheap) pillow from Ikea... that works for me. When in hospital I used a folded bath towel...so for me being almost flat is best.

good luck with the search! Iris x
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    I was told by several people that Tempur pillows are amazing. Had a look on their website. Bloody hell, so they should be. Cheapest one was £70!!!.........Ange.